This removal was a bit of a disappointment. Maybe a clue would have been the mass of bees hanging on the exterior of the column. I don't know. I assumed it was because of the heat. It was 90 plus when I gave the guy his estimate.
I stayed up til 0100 last night, because I figured as old as the colony was supposed to be there would be huge numbers and lots of comb. I stayed up that late, because I had to build boxes, frames, and load my van. I am not the fastest finger joint cutter LOL.
Anyway, today I roll in around 0630 and see that the bees are still clustered at the entrance. I thought that was odd, because it was nice and cool. I began by popping off the old trim, and then cut all the nails on the 1 by that made up the "column".
Once I made it inside, I found piles of old rotten comb, waxmoth cocoons, dead bees, and on the good side a few new combs with about 3 pounds of bees.
They told me that the tenant had set off a "bug bomb" INSIDE the house, because he had 100 + bees flying around inside. According to the folks no one sprayed inside the column at all. I don't know what to think, because the bees did not seem to be too energetic. I don't know if they will spring back, or not. I did my best, so we'll see.
All in all an uneventful, fairly uninteresting removal. :-\