Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 19, 2014, 11:40:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting to get hot!  (Read 1492 times)
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« on: June 27, 2009, 07:02:53 PM »

Its getting too hot to do anything!
1 pic is with the inside temp and outside temp(in the shade, mind you). and the other pic is the outside thermo....Its really gonna get hot this year! Its just taken awhile to get started this year!
your friend,
john
<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From just stuff with 2 thermos</td></tr></table>

reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 08:40:53 PM »

That's just awful, Johnny, you'd never catch me living in a place that got that hot. 

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 08:48:49 PM »

We've broken a few records here already within the last few weeks, nothing quite like you're experiencing, but triple digits nonetheless.

Hard to work out in this stuff!

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 08:59:35 PM »

We have mostly rain lately, unusal for us this time of year, however I couldn't stand the kind of heat you guys get.
Around here it can be 95 one day and then next you need a jacket.
One day you are sending your kids to school in pants and a long sleeve shirt and the next day they are wearing shorts, then it may be back to the long pants.
The weather really fluctuates.
The other day it started out cold, then by afternoon it was hot, then came the rain, then it was muggy and by the time we went to my son's baseball game at 6:00 we were bundled up because it got cold again.
There is an old saying about the weather in New England, if you don't like the weather wait a minute, and its actually true.

I hope you guys get some relief there, its too hot to live like that for any length of time.
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 09:13:19 PM »

It surely is, Natalie, right now I've got a nice 64° breeze blowing on my legs and it feels so good after the humidity we've had, even if the temp wasn't that hot.  I hate the humidity more than the heat!  Now this darned rain is supposed to last all week again.  Give us a break!!!

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 09:29:14 PM »

I don't ever remember a June with this much rain.
I took the kids to foxboro to celebrate their birthdays at the amusement park and it downpoured halfway through the party.
I thought hey great, the weather is suppose to let up this weekend so we'll shoot for saturday.
Well the rain held off here but not in foxboro, it was such a hard rain you couldn't see in front of you, thunder, lightening the whole shebang.
There is no escaping the rain lately.

I agree, I cannot handle the humidity at all.
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 10:23:39 PM »

103 today. Yiks I hate this weather, but at least it is not humid.
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 12:28:17 AM »

I've been one end of the south to the other in summer - I'll take a dry 115* over a humid 99* any day. although anything over 100 is pretty brutal no matter the humidity.

be happy and make others happy.
oldenglish
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 01:10:17 AM »

For seattle we are having one of our best Junes ever. We have had a little rain which will give the blackberries a good boost just at the right time, we have for the most part been between 70 -75 almost every day, even when it rained.
Just checked the 5 day forecast and they are saying 78 by wednesday.

1reb
Super Bee

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 06:37:23 AM »

And July and August is not here yet
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 09:12:17 PM »

Yeh, I'd take this heat down here over the humidity up in Mass. any time! But, when it comes right down to it, there was a time I could work in the heat with no problems..Not anymore tho....I can do it but after awhile I lose my senses and feel wierd and by that time Ive been in the heat too long...My heart races, I feel like Im dreaming....It feels like I  might die!...and all this just sneaks up omn me until its too late!
your friend,
john

Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 09:46:55 PM »

John, I've been to a doctor before, not understanding why I felt ill and couldn't focus at work. he did a standing, sitting, and laying blood pressure and pulse, and told me I was severely dehydrated;(and I drank some bad water) the good news he added was really bad news. He told me I'm the type who just doesn't pass out when he really should (I thought it was good news because there are places where an electrician just does not want to pass out.). The docs office called me almost daily to push me to drink lots and lots of water and a little gatoraide too.

be happy and make others happy.
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 10:22:15 PM »

John, you have to be very careful with heat stroke.
Its definitely something to think about before you get to the point where you are feeling bad.
I have times where I forget to drink enough water and I usually realize it because I get leg cramps but I make an effort to drink alot of water throughout the day.
I always have a bottle nearby when I work outside and I never leave the house without some water.
It makes it easier to get your water quota in for the day when you just sip all day long.
My son gets sick very easily from the sun/heat.
He just turned 8 and last year he was playing baseball with his team and he laid down on the field.
He just said he was hot and tired but I took him home because he obviously wasn't right.
The coach was annoyed with me for not making him stick it out but I know my child better than anyone and he wasn't right.
I knew he had been drinking fluids because all the kids are required to have a water bottle at the games and to drink during breaks, he also had a gatorade and I made sure he was drinking.
So anyway, turns out he was getting heat stroke and he ended up being sick for 2 days.
He missed a day of school from it and the first day he returned they ended up sending him home because he got so sick from the heat during recess.
He has never been a fan of the heat to begin with but now it really bothers him every where we go he looks for the shade to sit in or he feels sick.

I hope you don't have any problems with it this summer, you guys are already getting serious heat there.
Please make sure you are aware of how much fluids you are drinking and how long you have been out in the sun, that type of stuff.
We don't want anything to happen to you.
dragonfly
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 11:04:16 PM »

We've been burning up here for the past week too, and last Tuesday, I spent 1 1/2 hours out in the beeyard transferring my bees into a new hive box. I thought I was going to have a heat stroke by the time I was finished, because I have to gear up heavily to work my bees (they are highly temperamental), including the heavy rubber coated gloves and tall rubber boots. I knew that if I waited, though, it was only going to get hotter for the next two months. The older I get, the more I hate summer.
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 11:18:02 PM »

You need to get an ultra breeze jacket or suit if you don't already have one.
I know they are expensive but they are so worth it when it comes to your health, if you can get at least a little cooler while you are working the bees you will be safer.
You will of course still get hot but at least the material has some ventilation which will help keep you cooler.
If you are working your bees alone and get heat stroke you will be in serious trouble by the time you get some help.
Have you thought of a 5 gallon bucket with ice water in it for immersing your wrists in and splashing around your neck and face?
We do that for the kids at the soccer games when its hot out, at each quarter we make them all go to the bucket and they know they can do it any time they feel they need to.
You should also have a cooler with cold drinks in it.
I know its a pain to lug stuff with you but if you have a cart/wagon or something it wouldn't be so bad.
I notice the heat bothers me more the older I get.
Last year my daughter greaduated from high school and it was so hot that people were collapsing, they had an ambulance stationed there in advance because of the heat wave and it was mostly older people.
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 03:46:38 AM »

Man JBF that is hot, Id reckon even for Texas so early.

I really worry that you are going to get the dreadful heat we did last summer.

All I can say is make a fire plan with your family and practice it in the dead of night with the power off.

It could save your life.

Infact I think I will make a fire plan thread.
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 12:03:11 PM »

Mick

I am interested to read your fire plan, because here in Northern California we live with fire danger all summer as it is dry like a desert here.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 02:07:43 PM »

Got swimming pool  grin

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 03:38:53 PM »

NO!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next