Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 28, 2014, 11:42:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question re: Hopkins Method Comb Size  (Read 792 times)
Hethen57
House Bee

« on: June 28, 2009, 03:40:47 PM »

Will the bees make a queen if the frame of fresh drawn comb (foundationless) that you use for the eggs is drone size comb?  Will the queen only lay drone eggs in those cells?  Just curious because I used an empty frame to hold my queen cage for queen intro and they have drawn out some really nice comb on it which is empty, but it looks like larger cells.  I was thinking of saving it to see if I could rear some queens next spring.

-Mike
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 05:13:26 PM »

>Will the bees make a queen if the frame of fresh drawn comb (foundationless) that you use for the eggs is drone size comb?

No.

> Will the queen only lay drone eggs in those cells?

Yes.

> Just curious because I used an empty frame to hold my queen cage for queen intro and they have drawn out some really nice comb on it which is empty, but it looks like larger cells.  I was thinking of saving it to see if I could rear some queens next spring.

The queen only lays workers in worker cells and drones in drone cells.  You need the queen to lay worker eggs in a new comb of worker cells to do the Hopkins method.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Hethen57
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 02:05:57 AM »

Thanks MB, I'll have to see exactly what size it is.  It was such beautiful comb, I think I will try going foundationless on this hive and see how it works.  My other nuc didn't build anything on the same frame during the same time period...but I think it was a little lighter on bees.

-Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next