Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 20, 2014, 02:23:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bees sealing-up queen excluder?  (Read 679 times)
VTnewbee
New Bee

« on: June 28, 2009, 12:48:47 PM »

I just did a quick peek into my hive today because I was concerned that I might need to add another super.  It was the first time I've opened up the hive since adding the queen excluder and the first super (about 2 1/2 weeks ago).   I was kind of surprised to see that they've barely touched the first super, and the really odd part is that while there were probably over 100 or more bees up in the super, they seemed to be busily working away on sealing up the holes in the queen excluder and building burr comb on the bottoms of the super frames.  It certainly wasn't sealed up all the way, and they have been building a good amount of burr comb on the bottoms of the frames of the 2 brood chambers but should I be concerned about the fact that they're spending so much time sealing up the excluder rather than working on the frames?  huh
Cheryl
House Bee

top bar beekeeper

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 01:26:36 PM »

Too much ventilation? Controlling air flow directions? Those are my first thoughts.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle
jason58104
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 02:49:10 PM »

I am not a big fan of queen exluders.  In my opion they cause more problems than they are worth.  I would pull it off and learn to keep bees without them! 
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 02:55:03 PM »

if you are going to use an excluder, you have to let them start working the super first.  if you put the super on with just foundation, or strips and then an excluder, they probably will not store in there.  if they run out of room below from storing in the brood boxes, they will swarm on you.

if it's a metal excluder, pop it in the freezer. tomorrow give it a twist or a whack and most of the propolis will break off. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
VTnewbee
New Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 03:35:57 PM »

Thank you for the good responses!  I have a feeling you're all probably correct.  I removed the corks that were in the upper brood chamber and honey super to give them more ventilation and I probably got too carried away.  I'll put one or both corks back, and remove the excluder for a while until they get started on the frames.  I was a little disappointed to see that they hadn't progressed more, but we've had some pretty rainy cool weather the past two weeks here.  Anyone have some sunshine you could send this way?  rainbow sunflower Thanks again everyone!
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 08:32:09 PM »

VTnewbee, it's nice that your general location is in your name or you'd remain hopelessly lost.  Knowing where you are can make a difference in the advice you get as beekeeping in Florida has challenges those in Vermont don't and visa versa.  Consider it a courteousy to fill in the location portion of your profile for those who might miss the not so obvious.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next