Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 23, 2014, 03:43:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ice storms?  (Read 1284 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« on: July 17, 2006, 07:05:10 PM »

i see you guys have brought up the storm question here.  how about ice storms?  we get really bad ones about every 3 years.  we are due this year.  i know the ice wouldn't hurt the outside of the hive, but if it were to seal the hive for a period of time, say overnight, would the bees be ok.  how long does it take for a hive to suffocate?

any ideas about how you would keep some kind of air hole open?  we can get 2 or 3 inches of ice in a very short amount of time.  then snow usually falls on top of that...then more ice.....

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Apis629
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 09:38:13 PM »

It's not safe to COMPLETELY seal a hive for any length greater than a minute or two.  They NEED air!  Given I don't get ice storms here...and I'm not entirely sure what one is, I'll leave that part to the northerners.

Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 11:17:34 PM »

An ice storm can plug the entrance which can cut off the air supply if you are not using either a SBB or a ventilated top.  The Ice storm will not plug up a SBB because the open area is below and protected from direct moisture by the hive.  And no the open floor that a SBB represents will not cause the bees to freeze the heat will stay in the hive with the excess venting out the bottom, therby keeping the bottom open.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 10:28:23 AM »

thanks.  forgot about the open bottom.  why did the SBB come with that slide in board if i'm never going to use it? Smiley

i am off to the bee store.  also going to by slatted rack if they have one.  we are headed for 100+ degrees this week.  i hope this will help with ventilation on the top and discourage robbing?  i have had some trouble with robbing but nothing big.  don't want to make it worse.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 10:22:19 PM »

> i know the ice wouldn't hurt the outside of the hive, but if it were to seal the hive for a period of time, say overnight, would the bees be ok. how long does it take for a hive to suffocate?

I've seen bottom entrances blocked by snow and ice.  I've never had top entrances blocked.  You need a top entnrace, even if it's a small one.  I prefer it as the only entrance so I don't have to worry about the mice etc.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#topentrance
http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopentrance.htm

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next