Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 21, 2014, 04:07:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Shingles  (Read 1610 times)
reinbeau
Super Bee

« on: June 17, 2009, 09:33:44 PM »

Mine is usually around 100/64, but when I went to the doctor's last week it was 120/84 - definitely high for me.  That's because I had a fever of 102° and a rip-roaring case of the shingles!!  I hope it's down now.  Go back for a recheck on Friday.

OH my gosh you were so sick you poor gal.  I heard that is so, so painful.  How are you doing now?

Oh my dear Ann, I know that pain, and I hope that you are feeling so much better.  I don't think that there is anything more painful than shingles....been there done that....pain, pain, pain.  I want to tell you why I know that hideous pain, I have an agenda for telling my tale. 

After I had that rotator cuff surgery a couple of years ago, a few months afterward, I got the shingles.  The band of nerves that were affected were from behind that shoulder, near the spine, all the way beneath my arm and almost to my chest.  That is why such pain, because it affects "bands" of nerves.   I remember even taking tylenol 3, that didn't even begin to touch that pain.  Dear girl, take care, I am hoping to my lucky stars that your pain was taken care of, any way that you can, and that it is gone.....

I got them because of that weakened immune system after the surgery.  What happened to you to cause your immune system to be very very low to have contracted this dreadful shingles?  Elaborate Ann, I would really like to know, pleeeeeeze.  I have heard that shingles can recur, good grief......how could that be.  Have you ever had them prior to this attack?  You and Greg have had your hands full with malades, keep that chin up.  Have a great and wonderful day, free of pain, health.  Cindi
Thank you, Annette and Cindi, for your well wishes.  The tale of my shingles - last Wednesday I noticed a tiny spot almost under my left arm, on my ribcage, at first I thought it was a bug bite, I paid it no mind.  I had woken up with a blinding headache that morning, my nose was all stuffed up and I thought I had a sinus headache made worse by lying down, so I got up, took asprin and something to clear my sinuses.  I thought I was ok, but I was awful tired.   The headache didn't return until Thursday morning, and it wouldn't go away, no matter what.  I had my lesson at 1:30, and at the end of it I noticed that pain in my side had gotten much worse, and that 'bug bite' now resembled a bad case of poison ivy.  I went home and told Greg how much it hurt, he said I should go to the doctor - at this point it had a big red ring around it, about 4" across.  I really didn't feel good, but I had a class at 5:30 to teach and I taught it.  When I got home I promised Greg I'd call the doctor in the morning.

I don't sleep well these days, hot flashes are driving me crazy, but these nights I had been truly unable to stay asleep, I was so uncomfortable.  I tossed and turned all night Wednesday, Thursday and Friday night, I was just miserable, but not smart enough to realize something was really wrong.

Friday morning once again brought a headache and horrible pain, I couldn't believe how much it hurt.  Now I knew there was something wrong.  I had three clients starting at 9:30, so I went to the studio and made a call to the doctor first off - appointment at 2:45.I got through the first two, 9:30, 10:30, and then my 11:30 came ( I can't afford to give up the money!!  Yes, I am nuts.).  She's my 85 year old, she's wonderful, she just wants to move, so I make her move!  But I winced at something and she asked me what was wrong, and I told her I had this pain on my side, she asked to see it, and she said "You've got the shingles!".  I said no way, I still thought it was a bite of some sort - high fevers bring on delusions, you know!  She was my last client, so I said my goodbyes to everyone and sat out in the front room to put my shoes on - and the rug was swimming around under me.  My eyes weren't working right at all.  Chalked it up to stress.  Got in the car, drove home, and waited a bit til it was time to go to the doctor.

Once at the office I was seen by the nurse practitioner, who said after taking my temp "Did you know you had a fever?"  No, I replied, what is it?  "102°!"  Wow, I had no idea.  She took my blood pressure, 120/84, and I said that was way high for me.  I lifted my shirt to show her the bite and she was shocked - and said she'd send the doctor right in.   He came in, took one look and told me it was shingles, and that I was actually very sick.  So they put me on keflex, valtrex and prednisone.  He didn't give me anything for pain, he said to just take whatever I had at home, because the prednisone would calm the pain and any itching (I've had little of it).  But he did say that with my neurological symptoms he wanted to see me again this week.  I have to say, that was the most shocking to me.  The brain fog, and a very stiff and swollen neck, both scared the heck out of me. 

The area affected now is about 10" wide around my side, and six or seven inches high, as a big, red, irritated area, with the central pustules that are now flat and healing.  The acute pain is gone, but it still hurts, in a burny-itchy way.  If anyone you know ever has shingles  (Cindi, you know what I mean here!), feel very sorry for them, because they really do hurt - and they can be very serious!  Sorry to go on and on, but I'm truly amazed at how sick I was - and still am, I'm not out of it yet, but I'm on the mend.

Oh, why did I descend to this?  Stress.  I've let stress rule in my life right now, money is tight, work is bad for both of us, it seems as though since last October if it wasn't for bad luck we'd have no luck at all, in a way, at least Greg has his health, and that's a wonderful thing - I need some sun in my life to help me see the good again.

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 09:51:28 PM »

Ann, I will be praying for you. My mother had shingles and I know how she suffered.

As for stress I feel your pain there as well. Money is tight and work sucks (quantity). Had to go to the Dr. yesterday with my heart. He said my problem was stress related.

I read all of your posts and we have a lot in common. I hate this is one of them.

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 10:02:13 PM »

he should have given you something for pain also.  opiates are about the only thing that kills nerve pain.  if you still hurt and what you are taking is not doing it, call and ask for something.
if this happens again, and it might, make sure they don't send you home without something.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 09:38:17 AM »

Ann my heart go's out to you. I have never had shingles but a friend did and he was in real pain. I'm getting two day's a week work the people I work lost allot of there retirement in the stock market and are afraid to spend any money. I had to drop my insurance just so I could keep the wife's she has allot more problem's then I do. Ann go get something for the pain and try to relax.

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 12:14:37 PM »

Thank you all, but the pain really has abated.  The drugs worked well.  My main problem now are my sinuses, my head aches, my nose is bleeding more than usual (this is a family trait, we call it the Beauvais schnooz, we have thin membranes and any irritation sets it off), and I'm still very tired.  I think the doctor will have to check me out a bit more thoroughly tomorrow, I wonder what else is wrong?  I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired.  Oh well, there's always the garden....

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 12:32:16 PM »

hate to tell you, but i think some of it is age  evil

i got the flu.  first, i almost never get sick.  when i do, i am over it quickly.  this stuff knocked me on my backside.  granted, camping in the rain in Truckee didn't help, but....it took 3 weeks to get over.

get rest.  don't rush recovery.  all the crap will still be there when you feel better!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 12:42:09 PM »

Bite your tongue, Kathy, I am not getting old  tongue  Yea, right.  I know, I need to let up on myself, it's one of my sources of stress, being too hard on myself.  I need to calm down generally!

Little John_NC
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 04:52:48 PM »

Hope you get better soon Ann.

Little John

"The flags of the Confederate States of America were very important and a matter of great pride to those citizens living in the Confederacy. They are also a matter of great pride for their descendants as part of their heritage and history."
Winston Churchill

Quote from chronicle of  Marcus Lucanus of the Roman civil war: Caesar said :
"Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!
Caesar men cheered :
" Hail Caesar! We who are about to die salute you!
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 10:41:25 AM »

Oh Ann, I am almost crying here, yes, girl, I know your pain.  My shingles affected the same nerve band as you.  Mine started out when I was outside on a February day, sitting on a rock, pitching rocks onto my rock pile.  I had the surgery in October and so was still really in recovery over a very serious shoulder surgery.  I was in a very immune deprived physical body for some time, smiling.  ANyways.  I noticed that beneath my arm felt kind of irritated, like a pain that was not bad, but something I couldn't describe to Ken.  It just felt kind of irritated.  The pain got worse over the night and the next morning I noticed a rash, big rash, and I told Ken.  He said he thought I had better go to the doctor, because it hurt so much.  Singles diagnosed immediately.  So I had that diagnosis within a day of the onset of this pain.  The doctor gave me a couple of pills in his office and said that the faster the shingles can be caught and treated (there is no actual real treatment for it that works), but some meds help to reduce the effects.  The pills that he gave me were what they use for herpes, to reduce the effects (eeks!!!!).  And then I went on some other stuff, think prednisone was one of them.  He told me that because it was diagnosed so quickly, that I was in luck.  Sometimes the pain can go on for months and months and months, but in my case, will go away in about three weeks because of the immediate care.  It did take that long, the pain diminished quite a lot after about 10 days.  My heart goes out to anyone that gets shingles.

Oh Ann, you must have been a very, very sick woman, I feel so badly for you, oh dear.  Please take care, do everything in your power to reduce your stress levels.  I know, I know, easier said than done, but try, try, try.  Money can be such a bad thing, one either has too much or two little, not too often just enough, smiling.  If we could turn back time......remember when you become sick, don't just think it is nothing, if symptoms continue for more than a day, you need to seek medical attention.

Your biggest thing now, to prevent them from coming back (and yes, if the immune system is severely compromised again, they can return -- frickin' rats!!!).  I haven't had them come back, thankin' my lucky stars for that one.

Oh Kathy, yes, opiates would definitely have helped with that pain, but unless you are almost on your death bed here, it is very difficult to get anything stronger than a tylenol 3.  I don't quite get that, but I guess the worries of opiate-addiction is too much for the doctors to bear, even though they know that some types of pain ABSOLUTELY require these form of meds, the ones that work really well on the nerves.  Bother.

Ann, you work hard to keep your stress down, I am meaning that, that is a demand from me, from one girlfriend to another, smiling.  Have that awesome day, love it, live it, health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 11:22:20 AM »

Thank you, Cindi, your words are so true, and they mean a lot to me.

I am fortunate, I went right to the doctor and the meds worked.  The pain has subsided, it's still irritated and itchy, but not horribly so.  Now it's just get my health back, get my head screwed on straight, and learn to let go of what I can't fix.  That's the hardest part.  I'll work on it!  Smiley

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 01:31:20 PM »

Ann, I know you are listening, smiling.  Take time to bond with your chickens, smiling.  I can spend many hours outside in my chickenyard watching all the birds and ducks and babies.  This could be your peaceful time, find that place in your head where you can think of nothing but joy, let those chickens bring you there, and maybe the bees, they will also bring peace to your soul.  You probably know that already.  But when I am feeling stressed, and have have that an awful lot lately, these two totally different species of life bring me up.  THey take away any care that may be bothering me.  Actually, I think that I meld with them, I think I become a chicken or a bee -- in my mind's eye -- and then the only thing I have to worry about is flying from flower to flower, getting my back legs full of different colours of powdery stuff, my belly full of sweet nectars -- or on the other side of the coin, a belly full of bugs, dirty toenails and a rooster chasing me, smiling.  The rooster chasing me can be fun too, because I can run faster.  Take care girlfriend, I know that you will.  Have the most wonderful day, care for it, love it, it will return this to you, health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
hongsi
New Bee

jook fung

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 10:21:01 AM »

Propolis in a salve is very effective against shingles.  Applied topically and taken orally Propolis is a powerful medicine especially when taken with colloidal silver in the treratment of shingles.  Propolis salve can be made at home using 70% alcohol to dissolve the Propolis before mixing with honey.  Try it, it works better than anything I have seen so far and is effective against wet or dry Exzema and Psoriasis.  Watch what you eat minimising sugar intake.  Good luck.

There will be a time when the old shall be new again  ovid
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 11:54:58 AM »

Propolis in a salve is very effective against shingles.  Applied topically and taken orally Propolis is a powerful medicine especially when taken with colloidal silver in the treratment of shingles.  Propolis salve can be made at home using 70% alcohol to dissolve the Propolis before mixing with honey.  Try it, it works better than anything I have seen so far and is effective against wet or dry Exzema and Psoriasis.  Watch what you eat minimising sugar intake.  Good luck.

Oh Hongsi, I wish that I had known that when I had the shingles.  I know colloidal silver water is powerful stuff.  Seen it in action many times.  Ann's probably out of the water now.  BUT....I will certainly remember this should I ever get shingles again, and I know that it is possible, the way the virus, as chicken pox, remains dormant in the spine.  I'll PM you, I want to know a little more about making the salve, my Brother-in-Law has lived with terrible dry excema and psoriasis all his life, eeks.  Beautiful days to love and live, health.  Cindi

JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 08:43:13 PM »

Ann, I just read about your ordeal with shingles. Best of luck to you sister, please take care of yourself. We are all here for you if you need us.

And Cindi, leave the rocks alone, they are evil. evil

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 09:44:32 PM »

Yes, Cindi, I am, for the most part, out of the woods and thank you, JP, for your well wishes.  I will definitely keep the propolis in mind - heaven forbid - if I ever get them again.  Cindi, we just can't get them again!!  shocked

The brain fog hasn't totally lifted yet.  My defenses are still down, I think.  I'm working on it.

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 09:44:57 AM »

Ann, do lots of things that make your serotonin levels elevate -- like laughing.....watch the chickens....that will bring peace to that soul.  AND....there are other things that boost those levels too  cheesy cool Wink Smiley.  Have that wonderful day, to love and live, health.  Cindi

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next