Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 22, 2014, 01:46:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transport Queen Cell  (Read 1361 times)
StephenSDH
New Bee

« on: June 25, 2009, 11:02:55 AM »

I would like to transport a couple capped queen cells from my hive to my fathers house 5 hours away.  I was thinking of putting a couple jugs of water in a cooler that are warmed up to 95 degrees and hope that regulates the temp.  Scrap off some queen cells and keep them upright for the ride.  Then install them once I get there.  I am new at all this so any suggestions would be appreciated.  I am wondering how they ship when you order capped queens by mail.

Thanks Again,  Steve
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 11:07:59 AM »

I would transport them in a nuc and let the bees regulate the temperature/humidity.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Cheryl
House Bee

top bar beekeeper

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 12:13:17 PM »

I would transport them in a nuc and let the bees regulate the temperature/humidity.
My thoughts exactly. Even a "package" box with a bunch of nurse bees -- Like Robo said, let the bees do it. They know best.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle
StephenSDH
New Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 12:49:27 PM »

Its a good thing, but a bad thing.  All my equipment (and my only nuc which a buddy has because he wanted to keep bees in the city undercover) has bees in it right now.  I will try rigging something up like you guys said and take a frame with bees on it.

Thanks, Steve
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 12:53:25 PM »

just read a thing about cutting out queen cells and then pinning them into the new hive.  there was no nuc involved, but i don't remember what the rest of it said.  maybe a search on here if someone else wrote or read about it?

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
DavePaulson
New Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 01:21:46 PM »

That would work fine don't move them until a day or two before they hatch. Treat them gentle. The cooler method I mean.
StephenSDH
New Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 01:25:34 PM »

just read a thing about cutting out queen cells and then pinning them into the new hive.  there was no nuc involved, but i don't remember what the rest of it said.  maybe a search on here if someone else wrote or read about it?

I did look before I posted, but wasn't able to find anything.  I just looked again.  Let me know if you find it.  I thought this would be a common question.  Thanks guys.
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 01:31:15 PM »

I was given a queen cell at the field day last weekend, I just brought it home in the car so I hope its fine.
The guy was giving away some queen cells after his grafting and queen marking demo.
The cell was in that outer plastic cage but I didn't have anything else to transport it in so I hope its fine.
I put it in the hive as soon as I got home.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 01:53:13 AM »

Do it the way we used to back in the 60's, put them in a small match box and slip them in your pocket.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next