Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 01, 2014, 06:43:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wild rose  (Read 847 times)
PeeVee
House Bee

« on: June 21, 2009, 07:59:23 PM »

We have a lot of wild rose here. Multiflora rose that is. Rather invasive.

Just wondering if the bees are interested  or not.  They were flying today between the nearly constant rain showers but I haven't seen them on the rose blooms. They seem to be bringing in pollen steadily but I haven't determined where they are traveling to.

Cheers,
Paul

-Paul VanSlyke - Cheers from Deposit,NY
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 08:10:19 PM »

they were all over mine.  i have many and they bloomed before the blackberries.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
PeeVee
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 08:15:07 PM »

Ahhh,

I'll have to check for blackberry blossoms. They may have started as well. But there is a really large rose bush 20 feet away from the hive.

-Paul

fermentedhiker
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 08:16:52 PM »

no nectar from roses.  They might be getting pollen though.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 09:32:23 PM »

yup.  tons on pollen.  wild roses are not the same as your domestic type.  they are kind of flat.  at least the roses here are.  smell great, but make me sneeze.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
PeeVee
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 05:51:22 AM »

Thanks,
I wasn't aware of the lack of nectar. Sad  I guess because it was a flower I just thought there was nectar as well.

-Paul

luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 08:56:20 AM »

It would be nice to have some benefit from the roses, seeing as they are invading our woods and hedges and becoming a massively invasive species!

The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
bakerboy
New Bee

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 09:33:04 AM »

Wild roses make nice wind breaks. Other than that I just obliterate them if they get in the way. The brush hog attachment on my tractor has no problems with them.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 10:06:02 AM »

The brush hog attachment on my tractor has no problems with them

vegetation demolition.  one of my favorite things!!   evil

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next