Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 01, 2014, 06:26:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deep super  (Read 594 times)
deverdude
New Bee

« on: June 18, 2009, 12:10:13 AM »

Hi all,
My foray into the world of bees. I bought a deep super (shoulda got a standard) and got a 5 frame nuc that used standard (?) sized frames. I had no time to run out and get a smaller hive box, so I simply put them in the middle of the new one I had, buttressed on either side by the extra frames and follower boards. What are the difficulties/problems pursuant to doing this? If it's important, I have a "Serge Lavasque-style" top feeder that seems to be working quite well with a vented inner cover, as well as a Country Rubes Screen Bottom Board. They seem happy and busy to me, but this is only the end of the second day.

"We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts we make the world."  

Buddha
sc-bee
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 08:58:45 AM »

>My foray into the world of bees. I bought a deep super (shoulda got a standard) and got a 5 frame nuc that used standard (?) sized frames.

I guess by standard you mean medium or Illinois. Nothing is standard in beekeeping shocked grin!

Most folks run deeps as brood chambers but many are switching to mediums for all boxes. This makes everything fit. However most Nucs are deeps unless special order.

>What are the difficulties/problems pursuant to doing this?

The bees will draw out extra comb at the bottom of the frames. Is it a problem? Only if you perceive it as one. It does make handling the frames more difficult ---- the extra comb will sag or break if turned wrong.

John 3:16
deverdude
New Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 08:51:26 PM »

Thank you for responding, sc-bee. I was heretofore informed that it would be something just short of a nightmare, encouraging significant pest growth and excessive drone production. This will be the 3rd day since installing the nuc. In general, how long should I wait before I might have a look-see (still reading)?

"We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts we make the world."  

Buddha
sc-bee
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 07:49:56 AM »

> This will be the 3rd day since installing the nuc. In general, how long should I wait before I might have a look-see (still reading)?

Probably a few more days. as you know inspections are counter productive. Try to hold it to once a week. I know it is hard grin! People chastise about frequent inspections. If you are learning that's what that are there for--- your enjoyment Wink hat is also a good reason to start with at least two hive. Rotate inspections or leave one alone a little more Wink

>encouraging significant pest growth and excessive drone production. This will be the 3rd day since installing the nuc.

They often draw drones as the drop comb on a frame or in open space. If they already have their drone quota they will often draw the drop comb as worker brood, just like a foundationless frame. It is however hard to handle.

As far as pest growth if it encourages drone production it could be a problem unless of course you remove the drop comb if it is drones when capped and use it as a form of IPM Wink Of course drones have a place in the colony also shocked

John 3:16
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next