If you got stung 15 times by honeybees, you would know because you would have 15 stingers left behind waiting to be scraped out of your skin. To my knowledge, honeybees are the only stinging insects that leave their stingers behind when they sting. From the circumstances you describe, I would wager that most of those stings were probably wasp or yellow jacket stings. Especially the nest in the ground. That sounds like a classic yellow jacket encounter.
Based on the number of times you've been stung, it sounds like you don't have much to worry about in terms of bad reactions. I would still make sure that you know for sure that you've been stung by honeybees (as opposed to wasps, yellow jackets, bumblebees, and hornets) before tearing into this hive, though. They all have different venom, and I believe it is possible to be allergic to the venom from one and not others. I'm not sure how common that is, though. My guess as someone with no medical experiance is that you'll probably be fine.
The local beekeepers' association should be a great source of information. If you have not found the Honeybee Removal subsection of this forum, I would also recommend visiting there frequently. The members of this forum post some really great pictures of removals in process, so it will give you an idea of what to expect. Some people also post links to youtube videos, which are also very informative.