Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 22, 2014, 06:20:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nuc needing help  (Read 550 times)
Highlandsfreedom
House Bee

« on: June 13, 2009, 06:30:34 PM »

I have a verry small swarm I have been nursing back to helth as a project......  Its been about a month and they still have not filled up 1 whole frame a week ago I added a frame of empty foundation inbetween the cluster and they started to build more comb for the colony  then I grabed a frame of brood from one of my strong hives with the bees still on it I made sure not to move the queen she was on another frame in the box above.....  My question is that this is all happining in my city back yard they are on the other ends of the yard but will the new frame of bees that were on the frame I moved over go back to the mother hive or will they acclimate to the nuc?  Here are some pics of the nuc...

http://img291.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=p1070314.jpg

To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 06:37:42 PM »

The young nurse bees will stay. The forging bees will return to the original hive. The extra brood and bees will give them a boost. You can further boost them by swapping places with a strong hive.

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
Highlandsfreedom
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 08:05:36 PM »

Great Idea..... thanks grin

To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 01:17:27 AM »

I had to do this last spring when, due to weather, I lost 3 hives.  Between the 3 I found a total of a soft ball size of live worker bees and a queen.  Between exchanging frames of brood for empty frames, feeding, and acting like a mother hen I managed to nurse the hive back to the point of successful overwintering.  Instead of having 5 hives with a harvest I ended up with 2 hives 3 mediums in size and considered it a successful year all told.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next