Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 31, 2014, 12:35:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bat Houses and Bee Hives?  (Read 1644 times)
jeremy_c
House Bee

« on: June 14, 2009, 09:15:23 PM »

I am curious if they can coexist or will their times of activity intermingle and thus the bats clean up the bees as well as mosquitoes?

Jeremy

Bee section of my blog: http://jeremy.lifewithchrist.org/category/bee-keeping.html ... has stories, pictures and videos of a new beekeeper.
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 10:39:24 PM »

I don't have bat houses but there are bats living in the trees in the back of my yard.
I see them flying over when I hang out around the campfire at night but its always well after the bees are back in the hives.
Bats do not come out until after dusk and I have no concerns over them affecting the bees.
In fact, although they may come out earlier I never see them until 9:00 or 10:00 at night.
Who knows, they may even eat insects that are a threat to the bees. At least they keep the mosquito population under control which is so important with the fatal viruses some of the mosquitos are carrying now.
I think they are perfectly able to co exist.
Cheryl
House Bee

top bar beekeeper

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 11:11:10 PM »

I have bats and bees. Their paths don't cross. Everything is fine in their little worlds.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 09:34:46 AM »

We built bat houses this year, along with hives, to help grow our local bat population. Bats are nocturnal, so I can't imagine a situation where they would eat bees. But, I sure hope they take care of cabbage moths, sweetcorn moths and mosquitos!! Cheesy

The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
achunter
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 10:03:58 AM »

I also have a bat house and i figured I have the bees doing well on the day shift by pollinating flowers and i have the bats doing well on the night shift by eating mosquito's and things of that sort,  i have never seen the bats out while be bees were still out so there is no problem with that 
Eshu
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 02:52:27 PM »

The bat houses I've built don't have the space the bees like for swarms.  I have built houses using this book by Bat Conservation International (see link):

http://www.batcatalog.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=193

As for coexisting, as others have said they aren't active at the same time so no problem.
Rebel Rose Apiary
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 03:36:15 PM »

I found a small bat inside of a swarm trap once! The kind of swarm trap that they offer in the supply catalogs. I let him/her go and moved the trap....then someone stole the trap!  huh I now make my own swarm traps and have never had any bats enter into them.

I have quite a few bats flying aorund at night. A few of the smaller bats come out earlier than the larger bats and I have seen a few bees around while the bats were out. The bees are just the last forager bees coming in for the night and I never seen a bat bother them before.

There is my 2 cents worth.

Brenda

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next