Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 19, 2014, 10:54:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how to stimulate to make comb????  (Read 970 times)
G3farms
Queen Bee

« on: June 11, 2009, 01:10:36 PM »

Last cut out that I did (5/29) yeilded two frames of solid brood and 1/2 fame of mostly capped honey, this was a swarm that had been there for three weeks I believe.

never found the queen and after several inspections dicided they were queenless, they were building queen cells, but I put in a breed queen on 6/4 and she was released and accepted her on 6/7.

Did another inspection of them on 6/10 and the new queen is laying eggs, but the worker bees starting to dwindle down in numbers, so I installed a solid frame of capped brood from another hive.

The problem is that they are not building any comb at all, they just barely have attached the cut out comb to the frame. There is plenty in bloom and had honey comb sitting out for all hives to rob off of (from another cut out), but they are not building any comb and the new queen has no place to lay eggs.

Question is how do I stimulate them into building more comb??

G3

see my swarms and cut outs at https://www.youtube.com/user/soapy22bullet?feature=mhee

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your @ss is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!
dragonfly
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 03:04:37 PM »

The only thing I can think of is to start feeding a 1:2 sugar/water syrup. This reportedly stimulates brood rearing. It's probably worth it to at least give it a try.
riverrat
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 03:09:50 PM »

I would feed 1:1 to see if that helps. Hope you didnt do the cutout for free. Cutout hives are hard to get them to survive.

never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house
theriverhawk
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 03:24:49 PM »

I've had the same problem this spring with a nuc that I started back in early April.  Every other hive has worked like champs.  This one has just poked along.  I have fed 1:1 sugar-water with a Boardman feeder pretty regular.  They have reacted so slow that I considered putting them back into the nuc box at summer's end and/or requeening.
Recently went to 2 Boardmans AND a bag feeder inside the hive.  Opened them on Monday and they are FINALLY starting to build onto additional frames.  I feel your pain, brother. This group of girls has been stressing me out.  Next Monday, I am going to pull out the empty bag and place a homemade pollen patty in there.  I'm hoping it, too, will get this group going.  I'll keep you informed if this stimulates them to continue building.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 03:55:37 PM »

i have not found the survival rate of cutouts to be low.  it depends on getting a good queen,  putting them in a good setup, and things out of your control, like weather.  i always feed mine for a bit until i can see that they are finding enough on their own to make it.  it is also a good idea to give them brood if you did not get enough or if the numbers are low. 

the other thing is that they build comb as they need it.  if the queen has just started laying, they may not feel the need to expand just yet. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
G3farms
Queen Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 05:06:25 PM »

I don't have any problems getting the cut outs to live, and yes this one was a freeby, it was just too easy to get to.

These girls are stressing me out also, like I said they are just not building for some reason. It has been better than two weeks and they have just barely attached the old comb to the frames, I would not want to take the rubber bands off for fear it will fall out.

The new queen has been laying for three days and has run out of room, I put a frame that has capped brood on both sides in hoping that when they hatch out she will at least have some comb to lay in. I need a couple of drawn deep frames of empty comb so she can get busy.

I also took them out of a ten frame deep and put them into a five frame deep nuc.

I guess I'll give them a quart or two of syrup and see how they do with that.

G3

see my swarms and cut outs at https://www.youtube.com/user/soapy22bullet?feature=mhee

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your @ss is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!
David LaFerney
Field Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 11:13:25 PM »

OK, I'm totally new, but I have a theory.  I have a package that was building wax like gangbusters for a couple of weeks but has slowed down by half or more.  So, here's my half baked theory:

Newly hatched bees do most of the wax production, baby sitting and house keeping.  If they were queenless or broodless (like with my package or any swarm) for a while you have a gap in the demographics where at some point the existing adult bees are too old to do much wax production.  Until you can hatch out enough new bees to build up the workforce they can't do it.

If you can give them some empty comb maybe the queen will lay it full of brood and when those emerge your population of young bees will start to increase - if there are enough adults left to care for them in the mean time.  But giving them more capped brood seems to me like the most likely way to break out of slow build up and low population.  I wish I had some. 

If you feed too much they might back fill whatever comb they do have with syrup(?). On the other hand if you don't feed they will have to forage instead of wax building and baby sitting. 

I figure my package (installed May 10) has had new bees emerging for a little over a week now so they should pick up the comb production any time now.  At least I hope so.

That's my completely unqualified theory, go ahead and shoot holes in it.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 12:24:12 AM »

Your problem is lack of population.  Bees will only build comb under their feet so the only way to get them to build comb is to move the frame of stores away a place an empty frame in what is the cluster area (brood nest).  The bees will then draw brood comd in which the queen should lay increasing thr population.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next