Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 20, 2014, 08:08:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-storm behavior  (Read 683 times)
4Paws
New Bee

« on: June 10, 2009, 04:00:53 PM »

First off  - I am quite new to beekeeping as a hobby.
Yesterday afternoon after work I was out back just watching the beehives from a distance for the fun of it. There was quite a summer thunder shower coming up with lightning and thunder getting too close for comfort, there was a lot of activity around the hives and I thought it was just everyone hurrying back before the storm hit, but I noticed a mass of bees, maybe 60 - 80, on the outside of the hive. First time I've noticed anything like this, any ideas?
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 04:26:52 PM »

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,22881.0.html

we were talking earlier about weather-swam connection.

was it hot on that day?

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
4Paws
New Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 10:45:11 AM »

Yes, quite warm and humid. Temp in low 90's with humidity close to saturation point.
After more reading on this forum I'm wondering if I saw a "bearding"?
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 10:51:41 AM »

that would be my guess.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
jeremy_c
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 11:25:54 AM »

I captured my first swarm today. Yesterday was 72 degrees and 74% humidity. It arrived at the persons house around 4pm that afternoon. Today we have thunderstorms coming in as well as tomorrow. Humidity right now is 87%.

Jeremy

Bee section of my blog: http://jeremy.lifewithchrist.org/category/bee-keeping.html ... has stories, pictures and videos of a new beekeeper.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next