Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 17, 2014, 09:14:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Woman throws away a million dollars  (Read 848 times)
wayne
House Bee

« on: June 10, 2009, 01:00:44 PM »

Woman Claims Loss of $1 Million Mattress
By IAN DEITCH, AP

JERUSALEM (June 10) -- An Israeli woman mistakenly threw out a mattress she said had almost $1 million inside, setting off a frantic search through tons of garbage at a number of landfill sites on Wednesday.
The woman told The Associated Press that she bought her elderly mother a new mattress as a surprise present on Monday — and threw out the old one.
The next day, she said, she remembered that she had hidden her life savings inside the old mattress. "I woke up in the morning screaming, when it hit me what happened," said the Tel Aviv woman, who asked not to be identified.
Skip over this content
She went to look for the mattress, but it had already been hauled away by garbage collectors, she said. Searches at three different landfill sites turned up nothing.
She said the money was in U.S. dollars and Israeli shekels. She refused to say how she acquired such a large sum. "It was all my money in the world," she said. There was no way to verify her claims, and she refused to disclose key details.
Israeli police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said he was not familiar with the case and no report had been filed.
The Israeli daily Yediot Ahronot published a picture of the woman searching through garbage at a dump in southern Israel. The picture shows the woman, dressed in a white top and black pants with her back to the camera, picking through a huge pile of trash that fills the frame about 10 feet in all directions.
Yitzhak Borba, the dump manager, told Army Radio that his staff was helping the woman, saying she appeared "totally desperate." He said the mattress was hard to find among the 2,500 tons of garbage that arrives at the site every day.
He said the increased security at the site to keep would-be treasure hunters away.
The woman said the money had been stashed in a mattress because she had had "traumatic experiences with banks" in the past. She would not elaborate
                                        -30-
   When I was in the service one of the things I learned was how to search a room really really well. How to find hidden spaces and things. As my hobby was treasure hunting with a detector it was a great thing to learn.
   After I got out I had a job for a while with a "Building Recycler". We did demolition, but not the mechanized smash and haul you see so much of now. We took buildings down like they went up stick by stick. Everything was then cleaned and re-sold. Lumber bricks and all.
  My skills in searching paid off many times in finding small caches that were left behind. Everything from kids treasures hidden in walls and vents to lock boxes between rafters. Never found alot but enough to make it interesting. The Boss took all we found and what he did with it I don't know.
   One day I got a call from a lady that the boss knew. Her mother had died and they knew she should have had a large sum of money on hand. She hated banks and never spent anything she didn't have to. Could I come out and search the house for her?
   I asked some questions about the older woman. Could she get around well? Was she of sound mind? How did they know she had the money? From her answers I made a mental picture of an elderly woman who grew up in the depression. She was in a walker and struggled to remain independant till the end. Every month she got two checks at the first of the month and her daughter took her to the bank and shopping. The money she had left was in an envelope in her purse when she came home.
  I was sure I could find the money. People who hide things want them safe but easy to get to. Out of sight of the casual visitor but where the owner can have a reason to go there and retrieve the money they need. Somewhere that strangers have no reason to be. I would search the bed room, as it met all the criteria.
  When I got to the house I was shocked to find it completly empty.
  The woman who called had had a cleanout company clean out the house so she could sell it. She never thought that the money might be in the furniture. 

I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 08:09:36 PM »

Years ago my ex and his siblings bought their parents a new set of recliners.  It was his 80th birthday, and we were having a big party at the house (they lived with my sister in law).  While we were out back the chairs were delivered, and the old chairs were moved down into the garage so they could be tossed out. 

We all went inside to give them the chairs, and the look on my mother in law's face was priceless, she was beside herself - no one knew she had over $7,000 stashed in the chair, and she thought the furniture people had taken them away! 

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 04:26:26 AM »

I have heard of old people stashing cash in the chair they sit on and one trip to the hospital and the old chair has been replaced by good meaning family with a new one.

I dont know if this is becoming an urban myth, sounds so easy to happen to me.

The folks in the metal detecting forums find caches all the time, under bricks/stones in old caravan parks are renowned for it.. I reckon the chair story must happen a lot.
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 04:33:55 AM »

As I type, police are looking for the owner of a large amount of cash handed in with donations to an op shop here, prolly inside an old coat. THIS does seem to make the news here at least once a year. I gotta get me a volunteer job!
indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 07:07:57 AM »

When we cleaned out my wife's grandparent's house, we went thru everything with a fine-toothed comb because we knew they stashed money in all sorts of places. We found cash hidden in all sorts of odd places, including $2000 tucked inside a clock.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next