Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 29, 2014, 09:37:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Evolution of Bees - fact or Fiction  (Read 5798 times)
Lesli
House Bee

« on: March 18, 2005, 05:25:47 AM »

The fossil record indicates that bears evolved from "dog-like" animals, thus the Family most closely related to Ursidae would be Canidae (the dogs). The bears' family tree looks like this:

http://www.americanbear.org/Evolution%20-%20Taxonomy.htm

Lesli
http://beeyard.blogspot.com/
thegolfpsycho
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 05:31:41 AM »

kind of like hyrex and elephants?
Lesli
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 05:41:18 AM »

Yeah, a lot like that.  cheesy

Lesli
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 09:06:55 AM »

Quote from: Beth Kirkley
I haven't found any downsides to bees.

I guess you have never parked your car in front of your hives wink

As far as dogs,  the only concern is them stepping on the bees in the grass.  Seems like at least once a year one of my dogs steps on a bee working some clover in the yard.  If it happens, make sure you pull the stinger out for them, otherwise it could be painful.

Keep some Benedril on hand too,  one of my black labs had a reaction and her face swelled up and she looked like a SharPei.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

burny
New Bee

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 07:28:51 AM »

the fossil "record" is incomplete and in many families doesn't even exist. evolution is still just a highly debated theory that doesn't even come close to explaining how something as intricate as  the human eyeball or a honey bee colony could come into existence. why can't we see the glory of an intelligent designer in all of this ?  because to do so we would have to acknowledge that an all powerfull creator would also have rules of conduct that we are suppossed to follow...that, and the inability of science to explain God or any other supernatural phenomena.        just some thoughts...burny
Beth Kirkley
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 07:51:33 AM »

I agree completely burny - you couldn't have put it clearer.

Before getting my bees, I already knew that "evolution" as the scientists put it just isn't so. But after getting bees, I thought - now why can't scientists see the absolute amazingness of BEES?

But the reason is just as you said - and I tell that to my husband often - if a person faces the fact that 'there is a God', then they have to face what God requires. That's a scary thought. I know it scared me when I first realized it. I was in my 20's when my eyes suddenly opened to the idea.

Beth

jxbeeman
New Bee

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 09:18:43 AM »

evolution and bee's.  no way that i can think that they could manage that one.  did they slowly evolve until one of the bees decided to be a queen or maybe the drone thought it would be best if he died on the mating flight.  the complexity of bees is amazing.  even today we still don't know the half of them though some of us think we do.  every day i learn something new and amazing (just about bees) that leads me to believe that there is intelligent design.  now you add a whole world into play and that is incredible.  later
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 11:00:11 AM »

Beth: don't make me start talking about vibrating spaceships and cosmic gravity again  shocked

I just happen to believe that EVOLUTION is PART of God's great plan!!!  It isn't mentioned in the Bible because MAN didn't have scientific understanding at the time - and NEITHER do I believe we have come close to mastering the science yet!!!  We are young as far as species go - we learn and grow and all of that is part of the big picture which AGAIN I think is too great for us to grasp.

Although inspired by God, the Bible was written by man and MAN can only write about things within his understanding.

Just my thoughts. PS... This thread will be moved to the Coffee House, it is a bit off of beekeeping now Smiley

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations page link for more details. Please help if you can.
Beth Kirkley
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2005, 01:01:31 PM »

ACTUALLY...... John, there is more advanced knowledge within the bible that science has only found out about in the last 100 years or so. Smiley Laws that God gave the Israelites was WAY beyond what was known to the rest of the world. Plus other verses in the bible tell of things that were not known to the common people of that day, and were not really proven until 100 years ago or so.

Job 26:7 He stretches out the north over the empty space and hangs the earth on nothing.

Lev 12:2  "Speak to the sons of Israel, saying: 'When a woman gives birth and bears a male child, then she shall be unclean for seven days, as in the days of her menstruation she shall be unclean.
Lev 12:3  'On the eighth day the flesh of his foreskin shall be circumcised. (Doctors have found that on the 8th day, a babies pain resistance is up, and they develop extra vitamin K that helps with blood clotting. Therefore, doing a circumcision on the 8th day is the VERY BEST day - God designed it that way.)

Lev. 5 - Has stuff about touching dead things and becoming "unclean". Also how to fix this unclean condition. Things we now know..... if you touch a dead animal, clean your hands and clothes to get rid of germs and disease.

Lev. 13 - Tells alot about putting people in quarantine because of infections.

Lev. 15 - Talks about the spread of germs. (Germs weren't even known about until recently.)

Lev. 11 - Talks alot about "unclean" things. But what it's saying is that when "swarming things" die in a well, the water is "unclean". If an animal dies on wooden ware it should be washed in water, and if it dies on earthen ware to smash it up. Or if you found it and picked it up, your clothes and you were unclean and need to be washed.

Lev 19:5  'Now when you offer a sacrifice of peace offerings to the LORD, you shall offer it so that you may be accepted.
Lev 19:6  'It shall be eaten the same day you offer it, and the next day; but what remains until the third day shall be burned with fire.
Lev 19:7  'So if it is eaten at all on the third day, it is an offense; it will not be accepted. (We of course now know that unrefrigerated food is very bad for you.)

Lev. 19 - Also talks about becoming unclean after touching the body of a dead person.

There is so much more that I could show you that God taught the Israelites. These things were not known by people... but told to them by God. So how could the bible be just written by man? This is information that was completely foreign to them, and they started practicing it about 3,500 years ago. But yet science only revealed these things - round earth, currents in the ocean, water that comes from deep in the ocean, germs, diseases being controlled by quarantine, eating dairy and meat in the same meal is bad for your digestion, when to circumsise, the fact that the sun goes around the earth...... (so much more)..... these things were only revealed recently. How do you explain that?

I just happen to believe that EVOLUTION is PART of God's great plan!!! It isn't mentioned in the Bible because MAN didn't have scientific understanding at the time - and NEITHER do I believe we have come close to mastering the science yet!!! We are young as far as species go - we learn and grow and all of that is part of the big picture which AGAIN I think is too great for us to grasp.

Although inspired by God, the Bible was written by man and MAN can only write about things within his understanding.

So that statement isn't true (not completely anyway). There was scientific understanding - from God. And actually, we (as nations outside of the Israelites) didn't have this information, so yes scientists did have to LEARN this on their own and haven't mastered it yet!
It's true..... man can only write about things within their understanding. So how is it that the bible speaks of things that no one COULD know about back then?  hmmmmm? Smiley

I know it's a long post...... and well past due. Smiley You know me John. When it comes to the bible, I'm gonna do the searching to find for you what it REALLY says on a matter. It's an amazing book - fully inspired by God - with revelation within it that us stupid humans STILL haven't figured out fully.

Beth

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 04:31:37 PM »

Quote from: Beth Kirkley
eating dairy and meat in the same meal is bad for your digestion,

Beth

So I should give up cheese burgers shocked

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2005, 05:33:07 PM »

If God didn't want us to have DOUBLE CHEESE BURGERS, he NEVER would have created the DOLLAR MENU at McDonalds!

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations page link for more details. Please help if you can.
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2005, 06:33:47 PM »

Man, thought I was on drugs when I looked at my previous post in context.  Then I realized the topic has been split and half moved here.

DOAH!!! rolleyes

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2005, 06:36:46 PM »

And now its drifted off to burger land.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

Beth Kirkley
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2005, 06:56:02 PM »

We can always count on you Jerry to make sure we get off track and begin talking about nothing. Tongue

(Just playin' with ya.)

Beth

beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2005, 07:00:46 PM »

Sorry Rob:

Not to much experience with the split thingy, missed leaving your post at the original. Honestly, I lost the original post, I guess it's still there. Next time I think I'll just do the MOVE thing, with the shadow file, it's easier to follow.

(_8 (|)  Do'H .... Ummmmmm. Cheese Burgers

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2005, 07:07:02 PM »

Now Beth is blaming me for getting off topic.

Well the wind is blowing too hard to do much else around here. So I guess I could just cause trouble here. Make some administrators split/delete various different posts. Cause confussion, panic, riots.

Y2K is here!

Jerry

beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2005, 07:22:26 PM »

I thought about splitting this into a cheese burger topic - I sure wish we had REAL THREADING in this forum software. These posts go anywhere and everywhere VERY quickly.

Think I'll search for a THREAD hack - we need to start working on Hacks to expand the functionality of the forums - there are indeed some very good ones out there!

BigRog
House Bee

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2005, 12:35:09 AM »

Down here Hardys has the best burger.
3/4 lb truckstopper.
with bacon cheese and all the fixins

talk about feedin the multitudes

"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"
asleitch
House Bee

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2005, 04:10:52 AM »

Sorry folks, but I'll rise to the challenge you have set.  cheesy  I think evolution is a perfectly valid theory and accuratly reflects the amazing diversity found across all species worldwide.

Each is uniqely adapted to their host environment. You only have to look at some bird species across islands that have been joined in the past to see evolution at work. Different islands host a slighly different bird which has optimised itself to the majority food source available. E.g. shorter or longer beaks etc.

Why is their different fauna and flora? Seeds brought in my migratory birds, or seeds that float in ocean waters etc. Some islands end up with a different majority food source.

A trip to the national history museam shows some amazing history and fossils. I work with a devout Christian who refuses to acknowledge fossils exist and we we all created recently. Given I have picked fossils with my own bare hands off the beach I find that view difficult to resolve.

Of course the fossil record is incomplete - it ought to be. Huge areas of this world are still bscially unchartered in terms of rock analysis, furthermore, large areas of the world do not have a local vegetation type which is optimal for the formation of fossils.

Flipping the coin the other way, we do have a large number of fossils for a huge number of species which do show evolution in action - how is this explained?

People here mention the uniqueness of bees - but look at the different types, Mason Bees, Bumble Bees, these are all at different levels of social interaction - all evolved to meet a specific environment. E.g. bumble bees can live in places that are colder and with more rain as they are bigger and stronger.

Thats my opening thoughts anyway  shocked  rolleyes  cheesy

Adam
Lesli
House Bee

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2005, 06:36:45 AM »

While I agree that evolution is the best explanation of the mountains of data we have (and does not in any way exclude the presence of a deity), I still want to know:

Why does my dog like to eat bees?Huh

Lesli
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next