Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 24, 2014, 07:48:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: latex vs nitrile gloves  (Read 2387 times)
wildbeekeeper
House Bee

« on: June 08, 2009, 08:12:21 PM »

does anyon see a diference in using nitrile gloves vs latex gloves in bekeeping?  can the bees sting through the ltex more than ntrile or vice versa?  how about two pairs of latex?

I use leather now and have good dexterity but would have more tactile feeling with "rubber" gloves... would love to hear your input!! thanks!

skflyfish
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 09:26:17 PM »

I started using yellow latex gloves (playtex) from the get go, cause I was too cheap to buy real gloves. They can get a bit sweaty on hot days, and the propolis on the frames can makes the gloves stick to the frames a bit, but overall I like them. I have used a pair for about a year and they are about ready to get retired. I have not been stung through them. I had one try last weekend, but the stinger never got through and when I tried to scrape her off, the stinger stuck in the glove but not through it. I use the thumb loops to keep the sleeves over the gloves and none have ever climbed up the sleeve either. I do like the feel, but I can't compare because I have never used beek gloves.

HTH
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 09:29:04 PM »

I can only speak for the nitrile as that is all I have ever used but I like them, they work pretty good.
I am going to buy longer ones though because I have to stop every so often to pull my sleeve over them.
Here is a site with alot of choices.

https://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/category/disposable-gloves.html
Rebel Rose Apiary
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 09:35:04 PM »

I never had any experience with the regular Playtex type of gloves around bees, but I have used them for detailing cars for shows!  rolleyes They are tough! I never though about using them for working my bees....I also get a slight allergic reaction when I use them, so I put some corn starch in there to cut down on the reaction and to help with the sweating problem.

I have used two pairs of nitrile gloves (one pair over the other) that I think came from Harbor Frieght...they came in a big box of 100! No stings using them that way, but I had one dedicated guard bee zap through and get me good using one pair while I was way the heck up there on a ladder once....used two pair ever since then.

Brenda
BenC
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 11:10:44 PM »

Are you asking about moving hives around or doing inspections?  For moving keep the leather ones.  For inspections, try something thinner.  I don't usually wear gloves, but when I do, I prefer the nitrile despite the added sweat accumulation vs cloth or leather.  See if you can get samples and get something that fits snug over your hand.  A loose nitrile or latex glove will be a nuisance as it gets stuck under or between frames.  In my experience (both beekeeping and at work) latex will tear before nitrile
Cheryl
House Bee

top bar beekeeper

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 11:19:12 PM »

I've been using latex because I have a bunch of extras I need to use up. I've been stung several times through a single layer, but when I double them I do OK. I have two different sizes: Med I wear on my hand, Lg I wear over the med. I'm a girl, I've got smallish hands. Once the latex ones are gone, I plan to try nitrile.

I can vouch for loose glove-tips getting caught in stuff. It's annoying.

On a positive note, I use my spray bottle of water (w/ cider vinegar) to spritz my fingers un-sticky now and then. Same bottle I use to spray the bees (along with smoke), and I just grab it and use it when my gloves get sticky. It helps a LOT.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle
dragonfly
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 11:33:53 PM »

My bees are REALLY hot, so I use the heavy duty beek gloves with the rubber coating on the hands for the bees, but for general puspose stuff, I always want latex over nitrile. It "moves" with your hands better.
BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 07:38:14 AM »

I have used both types, does not matter ( to me ). Does it prevent the girls from stinging or stopping the stinger from penetrating  huh I can't say that it does, however, I have yet to be stung on the hands with the gloves on, also it keeps the fresh propolis off your hands, too  grin
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 12:10:11 PM »

If you use cornstarch on your hands before putting on the nitrile gloves it helps absorb the sweat a little bit.
Cheryl
House Bee

top bar beekeeper

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 08:31:45 PM »

I need way more than cornstarch where I live...  tongue

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle
mgmoore7
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 07:59:46 AM »

I need way more than cornstarch where I live...  tongue

Yeh, I image that powder or corn starch might help for a few minutes but with the amount of sweat that comes out of my gloves after an hour is just crazy.  The finger tips sometimes get filled with water. 

utahbeekeeper
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 01:04:04 PM »

I like working without gloves generally.  I just placed into service a pair of the yellow rubber/canvas long gloves to replace my worn out leather beek gloves.  When I need them, like for harvest or on an overcast 68 degree day, I like them better than leather.  Easier to wash off honey and propolis.  Never thought about nitrile tho . . . . interesting.

Pleasant words are like an honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones.  Prov 16:24
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next