Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: fun with a bee at a local bbq  (Read 1472 times)

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
fun with a bee at a local bbq
« on: June 08, 2009, 06:04:33 PM »
I had just got done doing a cutout and must of had the scent of honey on my shirt (yes Iddee sometimes people will wear a shirt doing cutouts) That evening I went up to a gathering in town at the local cafe that was outdoors with free food. I was setting in the shade when a bee landed on my shirt. I let her crawl onto my hand where she sat and groomed herself for about 15 minutes from head to toe. After which she crawled around on my hand content as can bee for an hour or so while I studied her. her wings were tattered and one antenna partially gone an old worn out bee for sure. I imagine it was a bee that was left from the cutout that was still in the truck. The kids that was in attendance was fascinated by the bee that wasn't stinging me. It gave me a chance to educate a few of the young kids at the BBQ on bees . any how it was a fun and exciting experience. I got more out that than I did the BBQ itself. :)
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline RickeyENC

• New Bee
Re: fun with a bee at a local bbq
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 06:13:29 PM »
Great story :)

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 07:45:51 PM »
That is great! I like it when something unusual happens and it gets the public interested! Especially when it is the kids! Lots and lots of questions though.

Brenda

Offline G3farms

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 11:17:37 PM »
I work construction and was on the jobsite one day and me and my helper took lunch break. there were some empty pop cans laying arounf and five or six honey bees woking them for the syrup. I was telling my helper what they were doing and the same ones would come back to the pop cans and bring others with them. He did not believe me, so I took my paint marker and marked some of the bees and then they flew away. After a while they returned and he could not believe it. Then I told him that if we had enough time (like all day and then some) we could track the bees and find the hive, he did not believe that either.

Glad you took time to educate some of the youngsters riverrat, maybe that sparked some interest in one of them.

Thanks for sharing that.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your @ss is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline SawBee

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 11:39:54 PM »
"Then I told him that if we had enough time (like all day and then some) we could track the bees and find the hive, he did not believe that either."

Maybe this needs a new thread, but I'm curious G3farms.  How does one go about locating the hive?

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 11:55:06 PM »
It's called beelining. I've sorta tried to do it...

And that is a real cool story about the bee at the BBQ. I love teaching curious kids.
We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 04:10:00 AM »
I have to admit, I'm not much on kids except when they are in voluntary 'learn' mode - or fascinated with anything beneficial to them.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline G3farms

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 03:09:37 PM »
sawbee, here is a link that will show you how to bee line.

http://www.savethehives.com/fbp/

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your @ss is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Vibe

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 05:20:22 PM »
G3
My anti virus screamed Trojan Horse when I tried that link.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Offline dragonfly

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 05:29:55 PM »
I have to admit, I'm not much on kids except when they are in voluntary 'learn' mode - or fascinated with anything beneficial to them.

:-D
I can relate. I have two grand-daughters that I love dearly, and I enjoy their company, but when it comes to other peoples' kids, it gets tough.  I gotten rather sedate at this point in my life, and all the noise and kid energy drives me nuts.

Offline dragonfly

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 05:32:06 PM »
RR- that was a great story, and you are welcome to come and visit me and my grand-kids anytime. :) Children benefit greatly from people like you, and others who will spend the time helping them learn that nature is a good thing. :)

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 10:58:07 AM »
Here, try this: http://sites.google.com/site/beelining/

It's a link I bookmarked a while back, it talks about bee-lining. It references the link you gave, G3... and I haven't tried to go to "savethehives"... I do want to find out if that one has a trojan or not!
We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle

Offline Bennettoid

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 03:29:40 PM »
No trojan, your antivirus is giving a false positive.