Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 23, 2014, 09:05:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: strange comb and brood in cutout hive  (Read 501 times)
riverrat
House Bee

« on: June 08, 2009, 04:52:52 PM »

I did a cutout friday night. It was a newly established hive that hadnt been there more than a month. The comb in this hive wasnt smooth and flat on the face like most it was rough jagged and some of the capping was bulged out and pierced on the brood. The cells was not drone. I have read about foul brood and the piercing being one of the signs but the hive had no other signs. It was a small hive with not a large quantity of bees but it did have a laying queen. I was able to spot eggs and larva at different stages of developement. There was no alarming amount of dead bees laying around that I could find. Any ideas on what may be the case. Im thinking the hive may have been sprayed but didnt see the usual signs that you see in sprayed hives. The bees was traveling about 15 feet from the entrance of the hive to where they was building comb. The only way they could have been sprayed was at the opening of the hive. Im thinking they was probably sprayed a while back and they was on the rebound. Any suggestion

never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house
Rebel Rose Apiary
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 09:39:40 PM »

I see that you are in south central Kansas. I used to live in Kansas some years ago and found some really unusual patterns in feral comb while I was there! This was not some where in Harvey County was it? There was an old barn at an old farmstead that came into mind when I read this post. I found the colony and did not bother them because of the strange comb.

Brenda
riverrat
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 09:46:26 PM »

this one came out of an apartment complex in Wichita. I checked the hive today and most of the larva is dead no queen and no queen cells very little bees left

never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next