Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 28, 2014, 07:38:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Swarm In The Middle of a Thunderstorm!  (Read 700 times)
Rebel Rose Apiary
House Bee

« on: June 08, 2009, 12:11:03 PM »

Yesterday was another day with lots of rain and thunderstorms! I have had the blues since the flooding and my losses bees really brought me down. Being cooped up in the house all day is not what I like....so I took a walk 'in the rain' just to get out of here for awhile...the pina coladas did not help!  rolleyes
I watched the dark clouds and flashes of lightning all around me....thought maybe I should go back inside after a few close hits. On the way back to the house, I could hear the well known sound of Italians! (They have a distinct sound to me.) Not far from the front door there was a bush with bees around it.....inside under the leaves was a large cluster of bees! (Keep in mind that I keep Carnies & one Russian hive at my home yard, not Italians! They were not my bees that had swarmed!)

I grabbed some gear and a box and went to work getting them out of the heavy rain that was pouring down. Soaked to the bone, I went back inside a little happier...after all, I had a 'swarm fix' and that is better than any pina colada! grin

I never have gotten any bees before that had swarmed in the middle of a thunderstorm! When I placed the queen into the box, I could hear her start piping over the rain. Anyone else ever seen them swarm in the middle of a thunderstorm before?

The swarm was NOT there when I went outside, but arrived while I was out weather watching.

Brenda
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 12:18:51 PM »

i wonder if there is a connection between the t-storms and swarming.  i got a couple during a series of storms last month and got a call that i missed last week.  all right before or in between pretty good t-storms.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next