So I'm just starting out and I installed a package of bees last week on totally brand new equipment and foundation.
Today, I did the first checkup and opened up the hive and was pretty happy with what I saw.
I saw about 5-6 frames drawn out, eggs, and the queen! Seeing the queen was a total relief, because I had been thinking the entire week how screwed I would've been if the queen was dead or gone.
I switched the entrance reducer from the smallest to the next biggest and also refilled the feeder with medicated syrup.
Sounds like they are building up well, congratulations.
When should the next checkup be? in another week? 2? Anything else I should do?
A good routine to get into is to inspect the hive every 10-14 days. It is close enough together to spot problems and possible swarming signs (queen cells) and far enough appart to not significant progress. Make yourself away of the 80/20 rule of supering, when 80% of the frames are covered with combs and bees super the hive as the remaining 20% can be finished in just a few days during a honey flow.
Oh yeah, I was thinking about feeding them grease patties as well, it's a 2:1 of sugar to crisco right?
Grease patties are principally for treating traechel mites or pollen substitutes, sugar shakes work better for varroa. Grease patties are also a good Small Hive Beetle (SHB) lure along with pollen patties. During the late spring and early summer chances are the bees will ignore the patties which will draw the SHB.
and what are K-wings?
K-wings are workers with deformed wings. The defect leaves 2 wings extended so that the 4 wings together make the letter K.