Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 21, 2014, 11:55:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frame Feeders  (Read 580 times)
Highlandsfreedom
House Bee

« on: June 07, 2009, 12:14:07 AM »

I have a project nuc a very small swarm that I'm having fun working with.  The queen is laying eggs and they fill up about 2 frames in the nuc but my question lies in the feeder..... They have been sipping on the same sugar water for about 2 weeks and they haven't finished it off and there are quite abit of drowned girls in the water.  I have some cedar chips floating in the feeder to help with the drowning but should I dump the sugar water which is 1 cup water to 1 cup sugar and start over of leave it till its gone?? huh  I'm not needing it to produce honey but that would be nice I just want them to get into a deep and over winter and give me a honey flow next season.  What should I do?? huh

To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...
RayMarler
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 01:49:57 AM »

try using  a bag of plastic beads floatin in the feeders, get them at a hobby store. the bees can perch on them to suck the syrup without drowning so badly. I myself would be leary of using cedar chips, might cause yeast or mold to start in the syrup more quickly, just a thought, no proof of that.

Sitting in the shade, drinking lemon aid.
Enjoying the breeze while counting the bees.
Highlandsfreedom
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 10:15:31 AM »

Thanks what kinda size of beeds are we talking about?

To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...
RayMarler
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 01:34:04 PM »

bead sizes 1/4" to 1/2" should be a good size. I've not used them myself as I use Brushy Mountain feeders which come with a floating length of plastic which keeps the ladies floating. I've just heard from others that floating beads work well in water's and feeders.

Sitting in the shade, drinking lemon aid.
Enjoying the breeze while counting the bees.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next