Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 01, 2014, 09:51:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: cockatoo  (Read 929 times)
greenismycolor
House Bee

« on: June 06, 2009, 06:05:44 PM »

Hi cockatoo

Do you remember that I gained a pair of Cockatoos? Well, I just wanted to share with you that I now have 3!! Yes, they have hatched one of their 2 eggs, it's a now a fuzzy small round ball with yellow fur. My husband made a nesting box for them, and before I knew it there was an egg inside, then came another. It was great to see them go through the process of taking turns sitting on the eggs. This is a side of bird life I didn't see before and a great experience.

patti

Believe!
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 04:16:14 AM »

Sulphur Crested?

Anyways, that lil egg that hatched is set to live to about 120 years of age. Goodluck.
greenismycolor
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 01:03:39 PM »

Mick
Actually I miss typed, mine are cockatiels.     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockatiel
like those in the link. Sorry for the confusion, at any rate I have enjoyed the experience, and thank you for the well wishes.
patti

Believe!
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 04:32:19 AM »

Ah cockatiels! same dog differnt balls.................of wool!

They are very popular very sociable, people just love them. Id say behind budgies, they are number 2 bird here. I believe they talk, but ive never heard one. They love to play with things that roll. Old wooden cotton reels they love.

Post a pic when you can.
lmehaffey
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 11:29:53 AM »

Have fun with them! My brother - crusty old ex-Marine that he is - has three cockatiels. You should hear the "proud parent" talk when his girls produce eggs! Quite a few folks in our town have become cockatiel owners due to his ability to con charm people into adopting!

It is what it is.......except when it isn't.
greenismycolor
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 01:04:17 PM »

Hi Mick
Always happy to share pictures!!!

The pair is over a year old. From the previous owner I learned that they found a couple of eggs in the food trough, but they did not have any shell.  So my husband made a nesting box and low and behold they went right to it !!!! In a few days egg one came and 2 days later egg 2. One has hatched and they still sit on the other, I'm guessing when it hatches or goes bad they will handle the situation.
The male will mock my whistle exactly, and tries to mimick "hello" but it doesn't come out just right yet. He starts calling to me when I come in from work. It's really amazing and their intelligence. 

Believe!
greenismycolor
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 01:22:09 PM »

Hello Imehaffey

What could be more charming than a man who likes charming birds!!!!  Adoption. I am a sucker for animals that need a home (I have adopted another male cockatiel since my last post). My mind immediately went to "I need another female".  grin
Thanks, I am having lots of fun with them so, I know how your brother feels.  How many has he raised?

patti

Believe!
lmehaffey
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 08:37:48 AM »

Six since last year.... I have no idea how many before that! Two went to family members, three to friends in the community, and one still lives with him. The oldest, a female he calls "Buddy", likes to escape to the neighbor's apple tree and wait for my brother to come get her...she won't fly away -- she just hangs around, "talking" to the neighbors until he gets home and fetches her down!
Loyd

It is what it is.......except when it isn't.
greenismycolor
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 01:50:20 PM »

Wow, thats great! and amazing that she doesn't fly away, she must really love and trust him. They do like to talk don't they? Mine is always making some sound and the male will whistle like he is admiring his beautiful wife. Wink

patti

Believe!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next