Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 23, 2014, 02:54:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding brood to new package  (Read 1104 times)
leominsterbeeman
House Bee

« on: March 19, 2005, 08:18:22 PM »

I checked today and my two strong colonies are alive, and well.  I saw capped brood and larvae.  In one hive I saw the queen. The winter stores looked pretty good, in so much that there was still a lot of capped honey.  There was still over a foot of snow that I had to tramp through to get to my hives.

smiley  smiley
I am adding to my apiary with adtional packages in 3 weeks.  My mentor told me that if my existing colonies are strong and they have multiple frames of capped brood, I can take a frame or two from the over-wintered colonies - move them to the new hives and dump the packages on top of them.    Sounds reasonable to me and helps with the typical die-off that accompanies a package for 3 weeks after installation.  Anyone else got experience or better ideas?  
 smiley  smiley

thegolfpsycho
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 08:32:30 PM »

I like to give them a frame of unsealed brood to hold them when I install.    Lets em get right to work.  The sealed brood really jump starts them too.  Just don't give them more than they can keep warm if the weather is variable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next