Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 30, 2014, 08:21:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who TWITTERS and if so, why???  (Read 3640 times)
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 06:56:16 AM »

Sorry, I'm a cynic, but not paranoid.  I'm on enough forums across the internet that they can monitor me that way, too, if they want to bother, but why am I so interesting?  If you draw the attention of people like that you've got way more problems than posting to Facebook.  The CIA doesn't have to own Facebook to monitor it.  As for stealing my identity, that can happen anywhere on the internet, so if you're really worried about it, don't post anything, anywhere, heck, don't connect  up at all.

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
MustbeeNuts
Field Bee

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 08:37:04 AM »

It seems like a waste of time to me, no information of any value to be gained. And personal data needs not be on the web.

Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 10:37:57 AM »

Its well known that facebook is owned by a CIA shadow company. Has been for years.

you have been hanging out on resist.com again   grin

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 10:38:23 AM »

I think saying that many are on Facebook because they like to brag is a little over the top.  I've seen very little of it, and I have lots of 'connections' on Facebook.  Maybe it's my age group, but we're all just a bunch of people who like to banter back and forth, stay connected when our busy lives keep us from doing so.

As for Twitter, that, to me, is neurotic networking.  I don't see the point, but then again, millions do, so who am I to judge?

Who said anything about facebook??

If you read my post again, I said grant it I have not seen many and the ones that I have seen is because people actually took the time to point them out to me. Obviously those are going to be ridiculous since someone actually wanted to show them to me.

Over the top, not at all.
I know what I have seen.
Although as you said, it could be your age group.

My kids seem to like those groups and they use to always ask me if they could make me a page or whatever but I just don't see the point.
I talk to who I want to talk to already and if I want to see how someone is doing I pick up the phone or send them a note.
 I don't see how it takes any longer than logging on to a computer and looking someone up and then writing them a message that way.
It seems the world gets more impersonal by the day.
I will e-mail people if I am already on the computer but don't make a point of doing it as my mode of contact.

I prefer face time myself to get to know my people.
But then I have found the most interesting people I know are the ones who reveal themselves slowly, you find these great little bits of information about them here and there as you get to know them, rather than the ones that lay everything out on the table at once as they do in those profiles or pages or whatever they are called.
Personal info overload.

As for seeing not only bragging but complete fabrications on these groups, absolutely have seen it.

It wasn't all that long ago I was visiting a friend who knows that I don't do those social groups so I would not have seen some of the stuff she had seen and wanted to show it to me.
So she brings me over to the computer to show me a picture of someone I know that is "acting" like a biker, posting pictures of her posing on a motorcycle and writing all this ridiculous stuff and it was not even close to the truth.
 She also wrote about how she has a vacation place in the next state over, which is actually a camper that she leaves on her sister in law's property because she doesn't have room at her house.
I have known her my entire life. The life she portrayed was a fantasy.

Then there was a guy I know who is married and the father of 4 who wrote all about this great life he leads, only it was all completely untrue.
He was bragging about things that he does not own or were really misrepresented, as in him leaning against "his" hot rod car, please, he listed hobbies he does not partake in and failed to mention in all his musings that he is married with 4 kids.
How do I know this all to be lies? He is married to my best friend.

Thats a major consideration in these social groups and any online outlet, anyone can make up anything they want to and portray themselves in any light they feel like. So who is to say what is true and real and who is embellishing their lives?
Some of the stuff they say is partially true but grossly exaggerated others are outright lies.

Its always seemed to me that when people feel the need to talk themselves up its because their life is lacking somewhere else and they need an outlet to pump themselves up and maybe even a way to portray themselves as how they wish they really were.

No one is going to write that their life blows, they are stuck in a dead end job, their marriage is the pits, their kids are out of control, they are going bald, they gained weight, they are broke.....

I have to wonder why these people don't stop to think that maybe someone who really knows them will read what they wrote and call them out on it.
They have this unrealistic sense of annonymity on the internet.
Some were blatant and others just found a way to squeeze things in here in there. Like oh the weather is so nice out today and speaking of weather did you know that I just got a promotion and speaking of today did you hear I have more money than you?
I see that happen in any online type of outlet including forums though so its not just those groups.

There is a huge difference between sharing things about your life and showing off.

How about the people who were showing off their pictures and stories of whatever(obviously less than desirable) activity they were doing and then couldn't get a job or got fired for their antics because their employer or potential employer saw what they posted?

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 10:41:39 AM »

another twitter use:  the bee store in town sent out twitter messages when the nucs and packages arrived.  no on had to worry about checking email.  it went right to their phone.  one message from the store reached everyone who was signed up, no matter where they were.

on facebook, i have reconnected with people i have known over the years.  we have activity groups....like beemasters group, and red cross groups.

now....some people do post on there  every 5 seconds and post some stupid crap, but for most i think it's just a way to keep in touch.

i wonder what will happen when the EMP goes off?  all these disconnected folks are going to have a melt down  grin   evil

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 08:18:24 PM »

Natalie, I was pointing out that not everyone is using Facebook to brag, and you've seen differently - so we'll have to agree to disagree.  I'm thankful I don't have to deal with people like that, it isn't something that interests me.  

KathyP uses these tools as I do.  I pick up the phone, too, but I can't show a picture via the phone (yea, I know, you can with cell phones, but I don't use my phone that way).  It's all in how you choose to use it, I don't look down on these tools, because that's all they are - tools.

johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 09:55:07 PM »

Yay Kathy!!!!
 EMP!
Now youre on my page!
   (We'll get back to that in a later post, I bet!....If its possible at that time!) grin

your friend,
john

SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 05:19:14 AM »

So are you all saying that you don't need to know who is:

"Drinking coffee right now... two cream, two sugar... it's good."

Wes Sapp
House Bee

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 06:08:10 PM »

because that's all they are - tools.
Exactly! When my wife writes a new blog or a article about a new product, she'll post it on FB and tweet about it. Then it will reach the people that follow her on twitter and FB instantly. She is using them as marketing tools not a social network. On the other hand, I'm on FB for the social networking. But if you vist me FB page you'd see that I recently posted, I robbed the bees, extracted the honey, and it will soon be for sale. So maybe I'm not just using it as a social thing.
we have activity groups....like beemasters group
I'm going to join the beemaster group now...thanks for the info!

Wes Sapp
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 06:26:55 PM »

There's a Beemaster group?  How did I not know this??  I'm off to Facebook.....hmmmm, can't find it on a search.  Anyone have a link?  Nevermind, found it!

Wes Sapp
House Bee

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2009, 08:04:48 PM »

There's a Beemaster group?  How did I not know this??  I'm off to Facebook.....hmmmm, can't find it on a search.  Anyone have a link?  Nevermind, found it!
How'd you find it...I can't? I'll go look again.

Wes Sapp
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2009, 08:14:08 PM »

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,20494.0.html

Alexis de Tocqueville
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2009, 08:41:23 PM »

There's a Beemaster group?  How did I not know this??  I'm off to Facebook.....hmmmm, can't find it on a search.  Anyone have a link?  Nevermind, found it!
How'd you find it...I can't? I'll go look again.
Search Beekeeping, that's how I found it.

SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2009, 10:15:46 PM »

Best twitter yet:

"Sitting at computer, typing useless message to people who don't want to hear it, wasting life"
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next