Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 19, 2014, 09:31:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who TWITTERS and if so, why???  (Read 3833 times)
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« on: June 02, 2009, 05:51:14 PM »

I just sat and watched the TWITTER "Why Twitter" video and found it to be the most waste of time mini-service I've ever heard explained. I will be the first to say I don't like any of these Face Book, My Space, social networking sites - I hear horror stories about people who get turned down for jobs because of the things they say and do and by the friends they keep on such networks.

Twitter, except for the ease of the cellphone seems the lamest of all. Telling someone "I just ate soup" or "I had to mow the lawn this morning" is not communicating in my book - it is advertising forced down our throats with another shallow and useless service.

Please someone disagree and let me know why, cause I just don't get it!

Thanks.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »

twitter and facebook are handy when you are traveling and want to update a number of people without making individual phone calls.  facebook is good for sharing links, pics, and info with large numbers of people.  both can be accessed from a web enabled phone, so you don't need to find a computer to use them.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 09:50:42 PM »

I have never even logged on to any of those social network sites.
To me the word twitter means an electronics store we had around here and then a concert venue that was named the same.
I don't know, with me I just feel like if I want people to know stuff about me I will tell them what I want them to know individually without putting it out there for all the world to see.
I am a fairly private person to begin with so maybe thats part of it but I just don't get it.
I too have heard alot of horror stories, especially with young people being stupid, the fights they have and the outrageous things they say that I am sure they will regret.
I am not knocking anyone who likes those sites and uses them, it just does not appeal to me.
I still like the "old fashioned" ways, chatting on the phone(my least favorite) or my favorites , getting together with girlfriends and catching up over a cup of ice tea in the garden or a barbecue with friends etc...
Things are getting so impersonal in the world now.
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 10:10:27 PM »

I have thought about signing up just to get news updates, etc... from the WH, or other world leaders... they say even Kim Jong IL twitters... might be nice to get a heads up about nuclear war.   Undecided
foxman
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 10:37:24 PM »

I have a myspace for the sole pourpose of keeping in touch with the friends i moved away from (they never have been able to answer the phone, but neither can I. I hate playing tag on the phone!!!!!!!!)

The most dangerous ideas are not those in which we disagree but those in which we all agree upon
dragonfly
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 10:58:03 PM »

I don't even know what "twitter" is. I suppose it's due partly to my age, and because I'm not that electronically savvy. I like to visit face to face, write letters, email, or text to keep in touch. I'm also a pretty private individual.
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 03:30:54 AM »

I cant agree more John. Why on earth do people feel the need to be connected 24/7 in the first place? Twitter is just for idiots that are also sheep.

Facebook is owned by the CIA, I wouldnt be surprised if they are behind twitter as well. All these sites are just aimed at getting people (idiots) to divulge their personal info to the various Govts and companys in the world.

If I was a Govt, that wanted to spy on its citizens for any reason, I could think of nothing better than to create a site where idiots reveal every simple thought that enters their heads.

Twitter is a goldmine for Govt. You use it at your own risk. Id be surprised if some fool hasnt been caught twittering about buying drugs already.

At the end of the day, these social networking sites are just a marketing tool. Its just so sad that society as a whole is getting more and more stupid.

IMO a sign of success in this life is to not find your name on google.
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 03:48:53 AM »

I don't  - there's other sites I like being on; fakebook for the games, yahoo for the chat, hulu for all the tv shows I ever liked, and this one to learn about bees. It's as heavily newsvertised (that's an ad slipped into the news or posing as news) as it probably is full of ads.

be happy and make others happy.
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 07:32:42 AM »

Mick, where did you get the idea that Facebook was owned by the CIA?  It was started by a bunch of Harvard sophomores, the head guy is Mark Zuckerman, the CIA has nothing to do with it. 

I'm on Facebook.  It's fun, nothing like Twitter, a bunch of friends exchanging pictures and stuff like that, it's as revealing as you'd like it to be.  It's also a good way to reconnect with people from your past, you an find lots of people from all age groups and interests on there.  I'm not advocating it, if you don't like it, you don't do it, but for those of us who do, it's just fun.

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 02:33:25 PM »

>I just don't get it!

I never got any of them.  But obviously I'm not understanding the appeal because I'm missing something.  I"m not saying that I want to do any of them but I would like to understand why people do...

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
jimmy
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 11:52:22 PM »

I suppose I am too old ,too conservative for to -days world. I have been a member of several  veterans sites for a long period of time .Somethings that I see posted goes against the way I was raised  and the way I am. I have been no angel but I see a lot of things posted that makes an ole sailor,who has traveled extensively in my time,   blush.
Having said all that I doubt, I will ever twitter , go on facebook or myspace.
Just me.
Ernest T. Bass
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 11:58:43 PM »

I dunno, Twitter seems like a paradox to me. Only people with boring lives have time to constantly talk about what they're doing; nothing. Huh I think it might work better for traveling music bands or whatever--they're always on a plane or something, but it doesn't seem like the average Joe would have time to twit. And to put it bluntly, who cares what flavor of bagel you're eating for breakfast? Wink

"One in the same, Bass is the name!"

Have a minute to burn? Perhaps you'd like to check out some of the movies that my siblings and I like to make...

Lund Family Productions
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 01:07:25 AM »

Grant it I have not seen many, only the ones someone has made a point to show me. Like "hey look at what so and so is saying or posting etc."
It seems like alot of people use them to brag about themselves which I can't stand in people.
Not everyone obviously uses these social sites to do that but some of the ones I have been shown appear to be. I guess thats why someone took the time to point the posts out to me.
eri
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 03:22:45 PM »

AKGovSarahPalin Twitters from her Blackberry

http://twitter.com/AKGovSarahPalin

On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 06:10:19 PM »

Don't we already know way too much of her private life?
eri
House Bee

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2009, 06:52:58 PM »

Palin tends to get her public life and her private life confused, among other things. Twitter is perfect for showcasing that  Wink

On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.
alfred
House Bee

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 08:30:41 PM »

I don't twitter...yet. but I do have a facebook account. I got on it because my highschool reunion commitee was using it to connect with people. I'm still not sure exactly what I think of it. I have found some old friends and that is sort of fun but also a little strange. I have also used it to promote my martial arts classes and that seems somewhat worthwhile.  I also belong to a ning comunity for Indonesian martial arts called Silat tv. Has lots of video piped in from youtube.  It is very interesting and informative much like this forum. Imagine this forum but with space for individuals to highlight their own beek stuff, like mini websites and mini blogs worked into the forum, kind of.... I am also working on creating a ning community for Bagua a type of Chinese martial art which I plan to cross link with my martial arts web site www.baguachuan.com . The idea is to create community which will help to fuel interest in the art. Then of course hopefully ultimatly bring me students. Lots of work to put together. Jury is still out for me on these types of things it is a lot of work to keep up on it all as well.
Alfred
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 10:23:43 PM »

Twitter....Cool word!
 Yeh, mick...whats with the CIA?...EVERYBODY knows that Oprah owns it!
As for me, I cant even keep up with my blog!

your friend,
john

reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 01:13:35 PM »

I think saying that many are on Facebook because they like to brag is a little over the top.  I've seen very little of it, and I have lots of 'connections' on Facebook.  Maybe it's my age group, but we're all just a bunch of people who like to banter back and forth, stay connected when our busy lives keep us from doing so.

As for Twitter, that, to me, is neurotic networking.  I don't see the point, but then again, millions do, so who am I to judge?

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 04:14:57 AM »

Mick, where did you get the idea that Facebook was owned by the CIA?  It was started by a bunch of Harvard sophomores, the head guy is Mark Zuckerman, the CIA has nothing to do with it. 

I'm on Facebook.  It's fun, nothing like Twitter, a bunch of friends exchanging pictures and stuff like that, it's as revealing as you'd like it to be.  It's also a good way to reconnect with people from your past, you an find lots of people from all age groups and interests on there.  I'm not advocating it, if you don't like it, you don't do it, but for those of us who do, it's just fun.

Its well known that facebook is owned by a CIA shadow company. Has been for years.

All social networking sites are monitored. Its not hard to build up a profile on someone from these sites. If I chose a person who has an anonymous facebook site or similar, within 24 hours and just using the net, not using commercial pay to spy sites, I would have that much info on you, I could steal your identity. It happens every minute.

Its not only what you say, its what people linked to you say and do as well.

What the kids of today are posting at age 12 or 16, will be used 30 or 40 years later if necessary. Its all about profiling. What we say today is also recorded. Only difference is us older types have less in our files.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next