Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 01, 2014, 04:52:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feeding bees is EXPENSIVE! Any ideas on purchasing sugar cheaper than at the loc  (Read 3375 times)
rast
Field Bee

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 06:10:30 PM »

I think its different area's also. I've tried em all around here including Sam's, and Dollar General is the best. 4lb. for $1.75. When someone here was getting a great a Wal Mart last year, I made a beeline for it and it was over a dollar higher than what they were paying.

Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda
qa33010
Field Bee

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2009, 11:59:10 PM »

I guess the main thing is to keep your eyes open and COMPARE.  I've seen where the larger amounts are less expensive than the smaller and two days later it was reversed.  I've seen the same thing in grocery stores with other items.  This was after my wife educated me in the ways of shopping.

Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)
patook
House Bee

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 01:53:20 AM »

50lbs bags at Costco are $19.99. That is 40 cents a pound

danno
Super Bee

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009, 08:07:09 AM »

I mix small batches an like the 10 & 5# bags for doing this.  I have scales for bulk but its just one more step and alittle more mess
jdpro5010
House Bee

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2009, 09:28:15 AM »

I have read that the smaller bags are cheaper on here before, but I never seem to find that.  My best buy for a couple of years now has been the 50lb. bag at Sam's and it is usually cheaper by a couple cents per lb..
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009, 02:40:11 PM »

Here, a 25 lb bag of sugar sells for $15.95 on sale, I can get 2 5 lb bags for $5.  That equates to 30 lbs for $15.  The reason that the smaller bags are cheaper boils down to numbers.  A lot more 5 lb bags are mnufactured than 10 or 25 lb ones.  Look at the grocery store shells, the biggest amount of sugar is in 4 or 5 lb bags and only 1 or 2 25 lb bags on the shelf. 
Manufactures will package and sell the size that sells best, it is that size that will cost the least per pound.  The truth of supply and demand.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
oldenglish
House Bee

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2009, 02:51:39 PM »

I buy the 25lb bag locally at haggens or top foods for $13.95, the 10lb are almost $6. I have found that many stores dont carry the larger 25lb. Figure so far this year I am at around 200lbs for 4 hives, but I was not keeping count so that may be a little low.

steveb
New Bee

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2009, 06:31:55 PM »

Here in the Mountain West we have Associated Food Stores which go by a various names such as Macey's, Dan's, etc.  Because of the culture of food storage here Associated Food Stores have yearly food storage case lot sales which has food deeply discounted for about two weeks when one buys in bulk.  Each year I, and many of our other beekeepers, make sure to buy our sugar during the sale.  This year I was able to pick up white sugar in 50 pound bags at a cost of about 37 cents per pound.  Needless to say I buy hundreds of pounds at a time.  It is also a great time to buy bulk containers such as food grade buckets and 5, 10, 35, and 55 gallon food grade liquid containers at a steep discount.
Steve
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next