Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 21, 2014, 12:35:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Losing more Battlefield land this time to WALMART  (Read 2470 times)
Little John_NC
House Bee

« on: May 24, 2009, 07:26:10 PM »

Why with Walmarts money do they want build on a CW Battlefield?  soapbox
Cant they go down the road some? I can see a guide telling school kids or visitors ....Well there was gun position right there in the walmat parking lot bout where garden center is . There use to be a hill there but they bulldozed it off for the parking lot. I bet there a rundown area a old mall or a strip mall somewhere near there they can buy clear it off and upgrade the area... thunder

http://www.timesnews.net/blogger.php?id=10239&postid=7379

Little John

"The flags of the Confederate States of America were very important and a matter of great pride to those citizens living in the Confederacy. They are also a matter of great pride for their descendants as part of their heritage and history."
Winston Churchill

Quote from chronicle of  Marcus Lucanus of the Roman civil war: Caesar said :
"Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!
Caesar men cheered :
" Hail Caesar! We who are about to die salute you!
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 07:41:53 PM »

from the article: The application before county officials calls for a 52-acre retail complex near the intersection of Routes 3 and 20, less than a quarter mile from the edge of the Wilderness Battlefield unit of Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park. The project would contain several box stores, anchored by a 138,000-square-foot Wal-Mart Supercenter. Preservationists have asked the county to work with the Park Service, conservation groups and local landowners to develop a long-term vision for the area before approving this or any other single construction project.

Preservationists concede that limited commercial development has occurred in the area in the 145 years since smoke cleared after the battle, but maintain that the sheer scale of the proposed project negates that justification. "Once intense development begins near the battlefield, it will be all but impossible to stop," Miner said. "And once this hallowed ground is paved over, it is lost forever."

let me play DA for a sec.  a whole bunch of land was fought on.  here we are not even talking about the battlefield, but the land adjacent to it.  how much land do you think should be held from development, and why walmart and not other commercial ventures.  this article points out that there has been other development in the area.

i would be willing to bet that the usually walmart haters (unions) are the agitators here.  in an economy that is hurting for jobs, walmart is still the evil one.  apparently some feel that it's better to be unemployed than to take a non-union job with the great satan of retail.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 08:13:45 PM »

And why do we need some old battlefield anyway?

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
G3farms
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 08:36:25 PM »

really!!!  ain't their some ol' battle ground in San Antonio where Jim and Davey fought, that would make a good wally world parking lot for sure.

of course I'm just kidding, there is a putt putt course on one of the battlefieds here, the battle of Campbell Station, civil war soldiers are buried at the little church just down the road and if you know where to look you can still find relics in the ground.

G3

see my swarms and cut outs at https://www.youtube.com/user/soapy22bullet?feature=mhee

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your @ss is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 08:53:40 PM »

You mean the Alamo of course. Been to San Antonio many many many many times. Even lived there for half a year and 50 miles south of there for nearly two years, never saw the Alamo. 

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

pdmattox
Queen Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 09:42:03 PM »

Very sad to hear about any historic site being lost. Walmart has been the death of many small business'.

troutstalker2
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 10:23:10 PM »

Who is selling the land? Seams they share equally in the blame. I'm not really a defender of wally world, but everybody seams to be on the bandwagon in bashing Walmart all the time.
Little John_NC
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 10:48:16 PM »

What ever Kathy  rolleyes routes 3 and 20 at the intersection is kinda like the historic area of the town. Its been awhile sence I been through there but thar is about 7 small historic sites right in the area there talkin about. I would have said that if it had been a paper mill or a car plant. Walmart  rolleyes I have to shop there nothing else is open anymore.

Little John

"The flags of the Confederate States of America were very important and a matter of great pride to those citizens living in the Confederacy. They are also a matter of great pride for their descendants as part of their heritage and history."
Winston Churchill

Quote from chronicle of  Marcus Lucanus of the Roman civil war: Caesar said :
"Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!
Caesar men cheered :
" Hail Caesar! We who are about to die salute you!
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 11:14:05 PM »

told you.  i was just playing devils advocate.  very often, the people who complain about walmart, have no problem with other types of businesses going into the same spot. 

Walmart has been the death of many small business'

there may be some truth to that, but look around walmart.  there are many thriving businesses.  walmart brings in traffic, so a store that provides service or product that walmart does not, has a better chance of surviving than a stand alone.

if a business, any business, is well run and meeting the needs/wants of customers, it will do well.  it deserves to do well.  if not, they will and should fail.

most of what we read in the MSM  about walmart is false.  i had no opinion of walmart for a long time.  there is not one convenient to where live.  when i started doing disaster response, i found out what a great company they were.  a great deal of what we are able to do in the early days after a disaster is made possible by donations and effort by walmart.  one of the reasons they are able to respond quickly is because they are not union.  they can make and execute a plan without having to wade through union crap.  Katrina was a perfect example.  there were no gas stations open.  no stores.  walmart took volunteer drivers and workers from other areas, and got a store and station open.  without their effort, i would not have been able to find diesel for my truck, we would not have had enough supplies early on, and our living conditions would have been less comfortable than they were.  not to mention the fact that they donate tons of stuff and money to many efforts, ours and others.

they run on a 3% margin of profit, and owe their success to being very well organized and efficient.  they also have great management and great people working for them.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 09:55:22 PM »

Sam Walton believed (I'm extrapolating) that the best place to have his store is in a healthy economy; and to have a healthy economy in America there had to be manufacturing jobs - in America.
He had a policy of "If we can't find it manufactured in America, We will help an American manufacturer make it."
I think his corpse was still limp and warm when they decided to buy garbage from China - save a couple bucks.
Wal mart still touts "American jobs"
-part time jobs at weak wages selling stainless steel that isn't and horrid quality trash from china.

be happy and make others happy.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 10:18:06 PM »

Wal mart still touts "American jobs"
-part time jobs at weak wages selling stainless steel that isn't and horrid quality trash from china.

no one makes the same argument about micky d's or k-mart smiley.

a job is a job if you don't have one.  if you don't like the one you have, do something about it.  it is not the job of a business to give  you the lifestyle you desire.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Bodo
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 06:57:09 AM »

it is not the job of a business to give  you the lifestyle you desire.

True, but I thought Government is supposed to now?  Cry
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 11:30:17 PM »

kathyp you're going to have to switch sides... because you're taking mine and you wouldn't want that would you?  cheesy
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 11:47:45 PM »

kathyp you're going to have to switch sides

even you can not be wrong all of the time!!   grin

Alexis de Tocqueville
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 03:49:04 AM »

History. So the mistakes of the past are not repeated. People need to know that the citizens fought and died in their backyards for freedom.

Such a company as Walmart should build 20 feet above it or below it, to preserve it. Alternatively they can wait 2 years until the site is archived. Better still, build it somewhere else.
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 07:55:10 AM »

History. So the mistakes of the past are not repeated. People need to know that the citizens fought and died in their backyards for freedom.

Such a company as Walmart should build 20 feet above it or below it, to preserve it. Alternatively they can wait 2 years until the site is archived. Better still, build it somewhere else.

I sort of agree...except that at this point all they are are green feilds that most people could care less about anymore.  There may be information there, but the information is available in books and there isn't any reason to stroll around the artificial maintained grass reading it on signs (somewhat cynical view...)

And the spot in question isn't actually the battle field...just nearby.  Unless you consider that the entire city/area was technically a battlefield.

If 47 different local businesses wanted to build there, I don't think there would be the outcry.  But because it is a huge multinational corporation then people are itchin' for a fight.

I with them the best.  And I do disagree with forcing them to accept a walmart if they don't want one.  But what city is going to turn down the tax dollars right now?

Rick

Rick
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 08:33:05 AM »

Quote from Kathyp "it is not the job of a business to give you the lifestyle you desire."

People always like to put down the bossman, I hear it all the time from friends and strangers, bitchin' and complaining for various reasons why the boss keeps them down.

Try wearing the boss's shoes for a day, will make you quit your complaining in a heartbeat.

You don't like the position you're in, make the best of it, or find another job. Of course what is life without a little complaining right?

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 09:07:18 AM »

It was already said but.... it is written in the books. Sure you can go visit the places but you really aren't going to see anything. Even the Alamo. There is at least a building there, but it is not what it was back during the battle so one really couldn't get the feel of it back then as well as they could through descriptive words and closing your eyes.

And we do know how history is written by unbiased people.  grin

Jerry

Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 09:48:27 AM »

It was already said but.... it is written in the books. Sure you can go visit the places but you really aren't going to see anything. Even the Alamo. There is at least a building there, but it is not what it was back during the battle so one really couldn't get the feel of it back then as well as they could through descriptive words and closing your eyes.

And we do know how history is written by unbiased people.  grin

Come on Jerry I read all about the battles in Vicksburg ms and I imagined it must have been terrible. But what I imagined was multiplied when I stood on those embankments and saw what the soldiers had to cross, and where the cannons were positioned to rain down on the troops. Yes it was neatly manicured and nothing like what the troops saw but it helps people to understand the magnitude of what a battle field is.
I love walmart they are one of the best companies around but they need not build ON a battlefield, if they are adjacent to it oh well, but not on top of where US troops gave their life in combat. Protect the battlefields not the land around them.

Keith
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 02:24:38 PM »

i agree with keith13.  there is great value in seeing history and not just reading about it.  there needs to be balance.  a great deal of the US could be set aside as battle sites.  where there are physical remnants of  battles that can be used for education, or dedication, those site should be preserved.  other sites maybe not so much.  adjacent sites, certainly not.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next