Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 25, 2014, 05:54:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Supreme Court Replacement  (Read 2650 times)
eri
House Bee

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 08:10:26 AM »

>Would a male judge be attacked like this?

From the tenor of the remarks here, yes. Male, female, white, black, brown, yellow or green, as long as it is an Obama appointee.

I believe she is an appropriate, qualified choice, based on her education, record, and background. The fact that she is female and 1st generation Hispanic are pluses in terms of adding a variety of life experiences to the current mix and the opportunity to provide yet another admirable role model for women and ethnic minorities.

The "law is the law?" Well, then. Women and non-landowners can't vote. Slavery is OK. Going back further, taxation without representation is just the way it is. The law giveth, and the law taketh away.

Who among you will say that your "upbringing" had no effect on your point of view of the world around you, including your discernment?

Change is a process. If any one of us were prescient, the rest of us might as well sit back and watch.

On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 08:22:23 AM »

>Would a male judge be attacked like this?

Attacked?

Why should anything Mr. President does or anybody he appoints be passed through without rigourous questioning?  No president yet has had that luxury, thank God, and this president should be no exception.

When recent statements are made by a person which puts their integrity at question, should they not be called out on it?

I think it is good to put the prospective justices under the microscope.  The second black justice is the first one that I remember, and he was excoriated by the left from what I remember.  And all the justices that followed were too.

I find the response of the Democrats interesting...we shouldn't question what Obama does.

-Rick

Rick
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 11:17:18 AM »

Her record is a good one

her record is important, but not as important as her view of the constitution.  if she believes the constitution is a "living document", that's a problem.  if she believes that the judaical branch has the obligation to right wrongs by legislating from the bench, that's a problem.  the job of the supreme court is pretty narrow.  it is not the place for social activism. 

since we know that obama is extremely liberal, we can be reasonable sure that he will appoint very liberal judges.  since we know that he views the courts as a way to redistribute wealth and redress wrongs, we can bet that his appointments will feel the same.

once again, the left makes a big deal out of gender and race.  when will they get over it and base decisions on quality of the individual?  i am not saying she is not a quality person, only that she was chosen for other than personal qualities.....and that will be the main point of every single conversation or argument in her favor against the scrutiny from the right.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Vibe
House Bee

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 11:47:29 AM »

She has been quoted as saying that her decisions are of the "some are more equal than others" (to use a reference from Orwells 1984) in that her decisions are "better" due to her being a Latina Female as opposed to a White Male. Anyone who thinks that is relevant to Constitutional Law, I have a problem with.

The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2009, 12:30:33 PM »

She has been quoted as saying that her decisions are of the "some are more equal than others" (to use a reference from Orwells 1984) in that her decisions are "better" due to her being a Latina Female as opposed to a White Male. Anyone who thinks that is relevant to Constitutional Law, I have a problem with.

Oh please.  That is just one statement taken out of context and says nothing about her.  Duh. 

She's Latina!  Hooray!

Too bad.  I'd rather have somebody who's first American and of some racial heritage second (or third).  Any good american male justice will come to the same conclusion as any good american female justice.

Rick
Vibe
House Bee

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 12:38:08 PM »

Oh please.  That is just one statement taken out of context and says nothing about her.  Duh. 
One of many (you should read a few of her 2nd Circuit decisions), in exactly the context that she had it, and it says quite a lot about her. Duh - back atcha. Cheesy

She's Latina!  Hooray!
yep, I have no problem with that part of her at all. She at least is a legally qualified candidate. Cheesy

Too bad.  I'd rather have somebody who's first American and of some racial heritage second (or third). 
I agree. She doesn't.

Any good American male justice will come to the same conclusion as any good American female justice.
Again, I agree. But she "says" that she doesn't.

The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -
eri
House Bee

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 10:16:29 AM »

The complex role of the Supreme Court in this system derives from its authority to
invalidate legislation or executive actions which, in the Court’s considered judgment,
conflict with the Constitution. This power of “judicial review” has given the Court a crucial
responsibility in assuring individual rights, as well as in maintaining a “living Constitution”
whose broad provisions are continually applied to complicated new situations.

On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2009, 10:22:04 AM »

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2009, 02:18:44 AM »

Now here's a good article:

http://www.examiner.com/x-3253-Minneapolis-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m6d1-Giving-Judge-Sotomayor-a-fair-hearing
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next