Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 01, 2014, 05:31:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Foundationless super question  (Read 577 times)
Pond Creek Farm
Field Bee

« on: May 20, 2009, 10:14:54 PM »

I put a super on last week full of frames with starter strips.  Nothing happening this week.  I have a frame of pf-120 in the middle as a ladder, but very few bees are in the upper super.  I was considering swapping a frame of honey below with a blank frame above.  Will this get them started on the next box?

Brian
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 10:19:14 PM »

is this another brood box, or honey super.  if honey super they will start on it when they need it.  you do want them to store around the brood so that they go into winter with full stores.  i would not go swapping out frames just yet unless you feel the brood boxes are getting honey bound.  if it's for brood and you feel that they are getting crowded, try putting the new box under.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pond Creek Farm
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 10:25:41 PM »

It is a honey super.  They are a package installed April 1 but on fully drawn comb.  I put a second box of fully drawn comb on and they have filled all but two frames.  Then I put on the honey super with blank frames.   Waiting is fine, I just wanted to be sure I should.

Brian
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 10:36:36 PM »

They will start working it when the lower ones are full, unless you are using a queen excluder. If so, remove it until they have one or two frames drawn, then put it back on.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 10:55:43 PM »

Yes a ladder is helpful.  A drawn comb in the super helps a lot.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next