Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 16, 2014, 07:51:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: drowning  (Read 1064 times)
doug
New Bee

« on: May 20, 2009, 10:13:57 PM »

huh     I'm new at this  my first year of beekeeping  everything has been going fine until....  it's been raining for 3 days now, some of my Italian bees will not go inside the hive  they are hanging out front  and drowning!   there is plenty of room inside  I added a shallow super so there is no reason for them to be out,   I see no signs of pest, disease, bugs , etc.
my carnolian bees are fine they are all inside, any advice would be appreciated.
lotsobees
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 10:26:47 PM »

It's normal for a few stragglers that are at their life's end to not make it in the cold and wet and go belly up in those conditions.

--John Schwartz
Psalm 119 - "How sweet are Your words to my taste, Sweeter than honey to my mouth!"
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 11:16:50 PM »

I've noticed this with bees,not the drowning, but that the occasional dimwitted ones have no evolutionary effect on the apian species unless the whole hive is stupid. - the queen still can pass her genes with the "once in a while an idiot will come from an egg" tag.

be happy and make others happy.
Rex
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 11:33:46 PM »

When it rains here for any period of time, I can usually count on a handful of drowned bees on the doorstep of the hives.  Not sure why they don't make it inside.
indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 08:01:08 AM »

When it rains here for any period of time, I can usually count on a handful of drowned bees on the doorstep of the hives.  Not sure why they don't make it inside.
Are they really drowned, or are they just dead bees that weren't taken away from the hive since it was raining? I've sometimes watched "undertaker" bees fly off with dead bees and drop them away from the hive. If it was raining, they might have just pushed them out on the porch.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 11:14:36 AM »

don't assume they are dead just because they a wet and clumpy.  you can get a nasty surprise that way!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 11:32:39 AM »

Are they really drowned, or are they just dead bees that weren't taken away from the hive since it was raining? I've sometimes watched "undertaker" bees fly off with dead bees and drop them away from the hive. If it was raining, they might have just pushed them out on the porch.
forgot all about the morticians just kind of rolling them out the door to be removed later. looks like one of those roadhouses you just don't want to stop at.

be happy and make others happy.
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 01:11:16 PM »

forgot all about the morticians just kind of rolling them out the door to be removed later. looks like one of those roadhouses you just don't want to stop at.

Shoot what are you talkin about? thoses are normally the best roadhouses to have a good time at grin

Keith
Bee Whisper82
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 02:48:14 PM »

I think it is fascinating that the bees just roll them out and take care of them later when the weather is fine.  I also like to watch a worker try to drag a dead bee and kind of want to help.
doug
New Bee

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 06:50:03 PM »

they are drowned  all lined up head to tail in front of the hive   just hanging above the door. ?   well I made them a porch , expanded the top so it reaches over all sides  ,     thanks  for the replies   ,  I guess it's normal, 
tlynn
Field Bee

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 08:20:44 PM »

Maybe natural selection in progress! 

I feel your pain...we're wondering how much more rain can we get, and just last week we were wondering if it ever would rain!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next