Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Need some advice  (Read 635 times)

Offline Tyrone

• New Bee
Need some advice
« on: May 20, 2009, 05:58:54 PM »
I received a phone call today from a guy who wants me to give a short presentation on beekeeping to a group of 8 to 10 year old children and their parents.  I told him I would gladly take on the task.  Unfortunately I've only been keeping bees for 3 years and I have never done anything like this.  I would appreciate it greatly if some on you could email me with ideas and sources for any teaching aids I might use in the presentation.  I thought about taking a few frames of cured honey and extracting it and giving sample tastes to the kids and maybe setting up an observation hive to show a couple of frames of bees working.

Offline jason58104

• House Bee
Re: Need some advice
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 06:12:47 PM »
I have done several groups like this.  It is best to keep it simple.  I would bring one frame of honey and one frame of empty comb.  Talk about what you know.  Kieth Delaplane has written a good beginers book if you feel you need a text.  If you have your own photos bring them.  Most importantly have fun with it and your audance will also!

Offline dragonfly

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 11:16:59 PM »
I would also consider taking equipment like a smoker, tools, and stuff like that. Kids love to do "hands-on" stuff, and making it a tactile experience will imprint it in their memory better and make some of them really interested. Let them manipulate and interact.

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 11:20:58 PM »
if it's a close up presentation, pin a drone, worker, and queen if you have a preserved queen around.  if not, a picture, so that they can see the difference.
One could not learn history from architecture any more than one could learn it from books. Statues, inscriptions, memorial stones, the names of streets ? anything that might throw light upon the past had been systematically altered. (1.8.85)

George Orwell  "1984"