Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 25, 2014, 02:18:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Split Hive questions ???????????????  (Read 754 times)
Cossack
House Bee

« on: May 19, 2009, 10:09:08 AM »

I split a 2 brood box hive that had 2 supers on top  two weeks ago. In preparation for a new queen to come in this week. The queenless hive had capped brood when I split it.

I checked the hive last evening and noticed 2 new queen cells that were empty. I did not see a queen or any new brood. I also noticed several (10) nurse bees in the hive with stunted wings or severely under devloped wings. I did notice plenty of honey and pollen being collected.

My questions are: Is there a worker now laying in this hive?

Can I still install the new queen tomorrow? Or will she be killed?

Thanks in advance.

I had a dream last night, I was eating a 10 pound marshmallow. I woke up this morning and the pillow was gone.....
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 04:12:46 PM »

You don't necessarily have a laying worker, evidence of a laying worker is multiple eggs/larvae on the sides of the cells as laying workers can't deposit eggs on the bottom of cells as their butts aren't long enough for the task.

When making a split where you want the colony to raise a queen from eggs/larvae, you need eggs/larvae first off for them to do so with. Larvae more than 4 days old are too old to use.

When preparing a colony for a new queen, kill the mated queen and leave them queenless 24 hours, then introduce the new queen, either direct or caged, your method of choice there.

Deformed wings could be a virus or varroa mite.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Rich V
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 04:16:13 PM »

Check the hive for a virgin queen. She will look just like a queen but smaller. Look closely into the cells. If you see more then one egg in a cell you can have laying workers.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 05:03:25 PM »

you probably have a queen smiley.  if there were any very young larvae or any eggs,  they went right at making one.  they'll even try with older larvae, but without success.  did you check any time during that 2 weeks?  2 weeks is about right for a new queen and you'll have to make sure before you put in a new one.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Cossack
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 08:35:33 AM »

Thanks    JP, Rich V, and Kathy P.

I checked last night and I spotted the new queen.

Mike.

I had a dream last night, I was eating a 10 pound marshmallow. I woke up this morning and the pillow was gone.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next