Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 02, 2014, 05:25:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Foundationless, multiple combs per frame  (Read 644 times)
TimLa
House Bee

« on: May 18, 2009, 08:44:31 PM »

I installed a package in a foundationless medium, and they built comb like crazy, but...

They are now building 2 combs on most frames, so the frames stick together.  I had forgotten to push the frames together, and they used the extra space.  My bad.

I added another medium a week ago, they are doing the same thing in that one.

Do I just cut out the extra comb?  Treat that comb like a cutout?

I've added a frame of plasticell in the middle of each box, hoping they'll see the light.

On the positive side, I saw a worker emerging from her cell, that was kinda cool!

There were quite a few drones, and while I saw the queen and eggs and larvae last week, didn't see any of that this week.  There was a pretty big, dark colored 'thing' at the end of one of the frames - on the top of the lower medium.  I was wondering if it was a queen cell, didn't look like what I've seen in the books...

I have so much to learn.  It's like being a teenager all over again.

-T

Some days you just want to line them all up and start asking questions.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 09:41:48 PM »

when you go out and find weird stuff, take a picture and post it.  probably someone can ID if for you  smiley

i tried all foundationless and had some of the problems you are having.  fewer problems with starter strips, but still some.  now i put one full sheet in the middle and stater strips on all the others.  it seems to work pretty well.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 11:06:47 PM »

>They are now building 2 combs on most frames, so the frames stick together.  I had forgotten to push the frames together, and they used the extra space.  My bad.

That's a problem even with foundation, but with foundationless they will perpetuate any problem on down the line.  I would cut them out and tie them into frames.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beespackages.htm#dontleavemessedupcomb

>I added another medium a week ago, they are doing the same thing in that one.

The sooner you fix it the better.

>Do I just cut out the extra comb?  Treat that comb like a cutout?

Yes.  Just like a cutout.

>I've added a frame of plasticell in the middle of each box, hoping they'll see the light.

That may help with getting them in the right direction, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.  It may not help with the getting them in the center of the frame.  Do you have a comb guide?  Does it stick out well?  If you don't have a guide they tend to build on the edges of the top bar.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Roadigger
New Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 02:34:05 AM »

When I first started bees I ran out of frames and they were getting crowed in the brood box so I put supers on with only a couple frames in and the rest of the super was filled with comb in a matter of a week or so. I learned my lesson when there is a flow the bees are going to stow .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next