Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 14, 2014, 10:07:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My first cut out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1039 times)
Highlandsfreedom
House Bee

« on: May 18, 2009, 07:53:02 PM »

WOW!!!!  I got a call today for a lady that has a colony in a whole right above her 2nd story window.  Its a great practice cut out because they just bought the house and are going to replace the siding and don't care if I tear up the awning because they are replacing the whole house with siding next month!!!!!  I don't have a bee vac so I was wondering if anybody had any good advice to help make my first colony capture any easier??  I know they are honey bees I went by her house today to asses the opportunity.  I have a jig saw and a ladder and a box and a nuc and frames..... and that's about it.  I have the full suit so if they get too mad then I feel adequately protected.  But any advice would be GREAT....

To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 08:11:18 PM »

go to the removal section.  there is a sticky at the top where we have all posted our "must have" lists.  that section also has a wealth of info from folks who do lots of cutouts.  if, after reading all that, you have more questions (and you will smiley ), post them for answers!

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,13767.0.html

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/board,77.0.html

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Highlandsfreedom
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 08:27:17 PM »

go to the removal section.  there is a sticky at the top where we have all posted our "must have" lists.  that section also has a wealth of info from folks who do lots of cutouts.  if, after reading all that, you have more questions (and you will smiley ), post them for answers!

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,13767.0.html

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/board,77.0.html

Im looking there as I type (speak).....  Thanks

To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 10:12:49 PM »

Do it from the inside. Get an infrared thermometer and go inside the house. Locate the hive through the wall with the thermometer. Remove the inside wall where they are located. Working on solid floor beats a ladder a thousand times. Leave the window open and they will go to it instead of flying around the room. It is soooo much better when they fly away from you instead of at you.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Beaver Dam
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 12:23:03 AM »

I agree with the thermometer, and stud finder. Find studs and cut along them. Make it neet so repairs are easy on the home owner.If you do it from the outside, get scafolding. Plan on several hours. I would make me a bee vac first. I think it's a must. Once you get alot of the bees out of the way ,it's easier for you to get the comb for the hive and the bees will have a better chance of staying.
Highlandsfreedom
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 01:27:37 AM »

I agree on the inside part but I m afraid thats a no go the owners will not be there and I cant get inside the house Cry  So I will bee suiting up for this one.  It will be fun in sure. cheesy

hooyaman
New Bee

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 10:34:04 PM »

do you know how long the bees have been there, because if they have been there very long at all you might find that they have covered most of the wall, if so you have your work cut out for you. I have seen bees cover a whole wall of a house and believe me you have to get the queen and all of the bees out and that's a job and a half. I use a bee vac to remove bees from houses and barns. That's the best. That way it cuts your job in half.  you can find plans for the bee vac anywhere on the web.
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 10:54:52 PM »

I just wanna post and ask for follow-up with pics or video. I'm sure it won't be easy but if everyone else is a little like me they'll be most enjoyed and appreciated.

be happy and make others happy.
Highlandsfreedom
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 11:38:42 PM »

No sweat on the pic and vid.  This is going to bee a BALST!!!!!  I start at 8am colorado time.  Whoo hoo!!!!! That way I can work from the inside!!!

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/6482/p1060759.jpg

Just trying to see if I got this pic upload thing down.......

These are my little girls I got in a nice house in the back yard....

Cheryl
House Bee

top bar beekeeper

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 11:48:55 PM »

You say you've got a nuc ready.

.....Methinks you'll need more than a nuc. Possibly a LOT more.

(BTW, that's a nice looking swarm.)

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle
Highlandsfreedom
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 11:53:31 PM »

long story short.... nuc deal fell threw and the swarm are now my girls shocked

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next