Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 30, 2014, 06:46:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how to get a hive out of a tree stump?  (Read 656 times)
TigerLily
New Bee

« on: May 18, 2009, 07:25:48 PM »

I haven't been on in a looong time but have a problem so I figure I would ask. One of my three hives swarmed a little bit ago so I have an empty hive. About a week ago, I saw that a tree in the field near my house had a beehive. The city workers have been going through this field cutting down all the trees and they had cut off the top of the tree with the beehive, exposing alot of the comb. Alot of the comb was also left in the top of the tree. I was told the ciry workers had left in a hurry haha  rolleyes and that they would wait until the bees left to finish cutting the tree down.

I thought great! So I hauled out my unused beehive, cleaned it out, rubbed it with lemon balm, and set it about four feet away from the stump. I left some empty comb in the hive to entice them but they are stubborn. According to my neighbor who also lives next to the bees, they have been there three weeks since the tree was cut down. They have no intention of moving, even tho it has been raining hard lately. How can I get them out of the stump?

"It is the melancholy face that gets stung by the bee”
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 10:14:41 PM »

Open the stump............

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
TigerLily
New Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 10:33:42 PM »

This is a large stump and I don't think I have  the tools to saw into it

iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 10:43:39 PM »

If it is laying down, you can use a hammer and wedge. If standing, you will have to get someone to cut it for you.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
TigerLily
New Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 11:32:45 PM »

Ok. How do I catch the queen?

EasternShore
House Bee

Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 05:54:30 AM »

Find a brave soul with a chainsaw, cut the stump longways CAREFULLY, first on one side them roll it over. Don't cut the last bit and wedge it open. They will be VERY mad. Bring empty frames and do a normal cutout.
I also use a spray bottle with sugar water...makes them fly less and gives them something to do while you wreck their house. The queen will be tough to find. You'll know you have her when the colony starts flooding in the hive. Suggest you leave it there over night after your done.
Good Luck

Don't feel bad if you lose it..tree cutouts are tough.

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next