Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 22, 2014, 05:46:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Open frames w/starter strip question? Their not touching it..  (Read 555 times)
hollybees
House Bee

« on: May 18, 2009, 12:06:02 PM »

Hello,

I tried taking some frames that I had from last year which had bits of leftover comb from cuttting it out to crush and strain.
Then took some foundation I had and cut it into 1"-1/4 strips and installed it along the bottom of the frame.
Took 3 frames that were 50% drawn and put them in the center of the super, and the rest just had the starter strips.
I put the super on 2 weeks ago as soon as the dandilions started to pop.

They haven't touched it and I don't get it??
I'm thinking that it's because they don't need the storage yet, or because there was a flow on.......or  possilbly both reasons?
There are bees in there but only on the center frames w/the drawn comb.

Sure would like some advise on this one, I never tried this before.
I had visions of beautiful drawn comb w/no foundation for cut comb honey.
I also wanted to let them create the cell size's to their specs  Wink
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 12:12:21 PM »

no flow = no comb.  they may not need it.  what do the stores in the hive look like? 

starter strips go at the top of the frame.  if you have wax on the frames from cut comb, you probably don't need anything else.  they may be on the full foundation sheet because it's kind of like a ladder for them.  when they need it, they will build it out.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
hollybees
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 08:05:27 PM »

no flow = no comb.  they may not need it.  what do the stores in the hive look like? 

starter strips go at the top of the frame.  if you have wax on the frames from cut comb, you probably don't need anything else.  they may be on the full foundation sheet because it's kind of like a ladder for them.  when they need it, they will build it out.

Kathyp, thanks for your response.

**no flow = no comb
great answer...I did not know that.
I thought they would buildup before a flow.
With dandelions, apple blossoms and such I thought it would be "flow city" but it's my 1st spring so I wasn't sure what to expect.

**starter strips go at the top of the frame.
yes, that's where they are.

**if you have wax on the frames from cut comb, you probably don't need anything else.
cool, that sound great to me I have about 20 more.

**what do the stores in the hive look like?
I haven't been able to check for about 3 weeks.
Their honey was light, plenty pollen, started feeding them but they didn't take much, I stopped when the dandelions popped.
Apparently the weather has not seen my schedule.
Its been real rainy, some nice day's in between but the north wind will not relent.
This week looks good for an inspection 70's by Fri.

I think I may have too many supers...might have jumped the gun on adding that last one.
I'm sure your right they just don't need it yet.
Note to self...learn Patience  grin

Thanks again, great info!
Paul

Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 11:08:14 PM »

Another thing that will arrest the growth of a hive, even during a honey flow is the population.  If they don't have sufficient bees to cover the combs they already have they won't draw more comb until enough brood has hatched so that the existing combs are crowded and then they'll resume comb buiilding.  Bees will only draw new combs if the population grows sufficiently to warrant it, and there is room for the comb within the hive. 

Once they run out of room to build comb they will switch to swarm mode, even late in the season, which is why timely supering is important. 

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next