Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 30, 2014, 07:36:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: They're Here!  (Read 584 times)
PeeVee
House Bee

« on: May 17, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »

Went up to Better Bee in Greenwich yesterday and picked up my package (about 2 1/2 hr. one way. Our Son-in-law went with us and picked up 2 packages.

Installed in the early afternoon and all went well even though we had some gusting south wind preceding a storm front.

Wife took pictures and told me later about all the bees around me! No silly protection, no stings.

Huge grin walking away!

Funny side - a couple evenings ago I finally got around to trying out the smoker. Lit easily and produced an amazing amount of smoke for 45 minutes on only a couple sumac pods. Yesterday I couldn't get the darn thing lit for lonr and went out in just a couple minutes! I guess the piece of newspaper I was using for ignition had picked up moisture in the garage over night.

Any way, I sprayed a little syrup on the package sides and everyone was happy.

In a couple hours, the stragglers who ended up on the ground in front of the hive and those few remaining in the box had gone inside.

Cold this morning and added some more syrup to the top feeder. A lot of bees getting breakfast.

This is my first involvment with bees. Really great experience so far.

Many thanks to all who post here with such a wealth of information shared!

-Paul

-Paul VanSlyke - Cheers from Deposit,NY
G3farms
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 12:03:18 PM »

glad to hear you got started, hope your new bees do a good job for you and your son-in.-law.

Are these your first bees?

G3

see my swarms and cut outs at https://www.youtube.com/user/soapy22bullet?feature=mhee

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your @ss is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!
vermmy35
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 04:14:06 PM »

Gratz now wasn't that fun.  I know it was for me and the only problem I had was waiting 7 days to peek in on the girls. grin

Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/
PeeVee
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 06:40:32 PM »

Yes, first bees.

It was fun!

Yeah, waiting...
I.ve been going by and watching to see if any have been venturing out. A few in flight but has been quite windy here today. Up to 19 mph gusts although the spot I have the hive in is fairly well protected from the north by a row of hemlock and pine. also temp between 39 this morning to 50 now.

-Paul

-Paul VanSlyke - Cheers from Deposit,NY
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 10:20:34 PM »

Murphy's law of beekeeping says your smoker will stay lit when it's not being used on the bees.  Light it to smoke the bees and it keeps going out.  A new smoker needs to be lit and kept lit for several hours using pitchy wood or pine needles so that a layer of tar will build up inside, then it will stay lit.  After awhile the problem will become keeping the tar buildup down to a reasonable level.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next