Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 23, 2014, 04:02:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drug cost  (Read 3123 times)
Bodo
House Bee

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 12:11:26 PM »

If medical insurance was the same type we could commonly buy 30 years ago, where you paid for your own drugs, your own physician office visits, and insurance was used for hospitalization and major medical expenses, the costs of medical care would be much much less than they are today. PPO's and HMO's have increased the cost of care because they have taken the responsibility away from the consumer and created a mindset that everything should be paid for, down to the 4 dollar prescription and the 50 dollar office visit. If people had to be conscious of incurring medical expenses, they would seek treatment only for legitimate medical problems, and not for every case of sniffles or diarrhea.

Thanks D'fly.  This is the point I was trying to make.  Too often people abuse the insurance they get from their employer because it's a benefit!  I don't really have to pay for it! 

Make people become responsible for their own health care and how they pay for it...
dragonfly
House Bee

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 12:34:35 PM »

Too often people abuse the insurance they get from their employer because it's a benefit!  I don't really have to pay for it! 

Make people become responsible for their own health care and how they pay for it...

And they use it much more wisely.  Our current medical insurance types encourage a sick state of mind. It's one of the primary problems I see happening in the country. A sick state of mind creates a sick state.
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 01:39:13 PM »

So what does all that have to do with self-insured companies?  Both companies I've been at in the last 12 years have been self-insured.  And they encourage us to pay attention.

Sure, an insurance company is getting some of our money, but most is coming out of the business. (afaik)

Rick
dragonfly
House Bee

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 02:29:07 PM »

So what does all that have to do with self-insured companies?  Both companies I've been at in the last 12 years have been self-insured.  And they encourage us to pay attention.

Are you referring to self-insured on worker's comp claims? That's the only self-insurance option that I am familiar with.
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 09:06:29 PM »

If people had to be conscious of incurring medical expenses, they would seek treatment only for legitimate medical problems, and not for every case of sniffles or diarrhea.

Which is exactly what causes people to delay getting that lump checked out until it's too late.  Good job dragonfly, you just killed a mother of three.  Now the rest of us have to pay for all those orphans and our expenses go right back up.  If that's the policy the RNC is advocating, then it's no wonder they are losing ground, their constituents are dieing by the thousands.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2009, 09:17:43 PM »

SgtMaj wants to pay for our medical bills  yippie chick

What is the address so my Dr. can bill you directly?

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2009, 09:23:13 PM »

Which is exactly what causes people to delay getting that lump checked out until it's too late.  Good job dragonfly, you just killed a mother of three

that's a BS argument used by the left to sell national health care.

if health care were consumer driven, checking that lump would cost 20 bucks instead of 50.  if you took care of the legal issues that plague doctors, you'd see a lot more of them volunteering their time in this country instead of other countries.

there was a time when health care was not 3rd party payer.  it was not so long ago, but i guess before your time.  people did not go without health care unless they chose to.  if care was expensive, doctors, clinics, and hospitals were free to work out payment plans and help patients get what they needed.  drugs were not so expensive and the corner pharmacist was free to extend credit, or help arrange payment.  sadly, those days are probably gone forever, but the excuse that patients will go without care unless I pay for it, is crap of the highest order.  if that happens it's because the government, insurance companies, and lawyers have made it so.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
dragonfly
House Bee

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 09:29:50 PM »

Good job dragonfly, you just killed a mother of three.  Now the rest of us have to pay for all those orphans and our expenses go right back up. 

Somehow, I just don't believe that a breast lump compares, on equal footing, with diarrhea or sniffles. Is this really what you are saying? rolleyes
Is it really this simple in your mind?
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2009, 11:04:51 PM »

Good job dragonfly, you just killed a mother of three.  Now the rest of us have to pay for all those orphans and our expenses go right back up. 

Somehow, I just don't believe that a breast lump compares, on equal footing, with diarrhea or sniffles. Is this really what you are saying? rolleyes
Is it really this simple in your mind?

Yup, because people who put off seeing the doctor for every little thing often end up finding out what they've got too late.  The cancer blogs and forums are full of those stories.  That's ok though, keep killing your constituents... see how far that gets your party.
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2009, 11:13:09 PM »

Which is exactly what causes people to delay getting that lump checked out until it's too late.  Good job dragonfly, you just killed a mother of three

that's a BS argument used by the left to sell national health care.

Ok Kathyp, I'm going to type this as slowly as I can so that maybe you'll get it... we're not talking about national health care there, we're talking about insurance.

if health care were consumer driven, checking that lump would cost 20 bucks instead of 50.  if you took care of the legal issues that plague doctors, you'd see a lot more of them volunteering their time in this country instead of other countries.

Those "legal issues" as you call them, are bad doctors who cause harm to patients through their negligence/stupidity... I suppose you think that patients who go in for a tonsilectomy and end up getting both legs amputated should just be on their own to urk out a living for themselves because the hospital and doctors shouldn't be held accountable, right?  Is this the morality and family values of the republican party today?  No wonder you're losing ground... you have no morality if you think that's right.

And whatever happened to personal responsibility?  Pardon me for thinking that people should be responsible for what they do.

there was a time when health care was not 3rd party payer.  it was not so long ago, but i guess before your time.  people did not go without health care unless they chose to.  if care was expensive, doctors, clinics, and hospitals were free to work out payment plans and help patients get what they needed.  drugs were not so expensive and the corner pharmacist was free to extend credit, or help arrange payment.  sadly, those days are probably gone forever, but the excuse that patients will go without care unless I pay for it, is crap of the highest order.  if that happens it's because the government, insurance companies, and lawyers have made it so.

Again, we're not talking about nationalized health care here, we're talking about private insurance, which you sure as hell don't pay for my health insurance, I do.  So get over yourself.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2009, 11:25:51 PM »

darlin, you don't have a clue what you are talking about.  you sure don't have a clue what i am talking about.  get a few years under your belt and come back to play.  bet your attitude will be different.  at least lets hope you learn how to have a conversation.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2009, 01:15:11 AM »

darlin, you don't have a clue what you are talking about.  you sure don't have a clue what i am talking about.  get a few years under your belt and come back to play.  bet your attitude will be different.  at least lets hope you learn how to have a conversation.

I know what you're talking about, you're talking about nationalized health care... I'm not (and I'm not sure you understand that).  I'm talking about my insurance, which you haven't paid one dime for my insurance, or anyone else's other than yourself (unless you're talking about medicare/medicaid, but you weren't).  If you want to talk about nationalized health care, that's fine, but nationalized health care and insurance are two different beasts. 

Anyway, I'll take the general demeanor of your post to mean that you really hadn't thought about those points and don't have a good response.  Please, by all means, come back when you can think of something.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2009, 08:56:24 AM »

I may be off the mark here but.... I do know with Auto insurance where one lives has a lot to do with how much you pay. Because of the accident rates (and other stuff). A person might not have had any accidents or moving violations yet hos/her insurance goes up because of others actions in that person's area and age group.

I figure the same holds true with medical insurance. A person might not have seen a Dr. for ten years. No medical claims of any kind yet the rate goes up because others abuse the system and/or runs to the Dr. for every sniffle.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next