Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 26, 2014, 01:58:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drug cost  (Read 3169 times)
Little John_NC
House Bee

« on: May 16, 2009, 09:20:40 AM »

It just seems to me that some of our elected rep. put there own interest first.
I just wonder how many of our reps. in congress have ties with medical and drug companies,medical insurance firms  huh Be interesting to see a study done on that  evil
http://web.archive.org/web/20050316092358/http://www.wxyz.com/wxyz/ys_investigations/article/0,2132,WXYZ_15949_2635151,00.html
Drug price chart at the time.
http://web.archive.org/web/20050326070849/web.wxyz.com/extras/040205-drugchart.html
This report was done in 2004 I'd hate see what the markup is now rolleyes

Little John

"The flags of the Confederate States of America were very important and a matter of great pride to those citizens living in the Confederacy. They are also a matter of great pride for their descendants as part of their heritage and history."
Winston Churchill

Quote from chronicle of  Marcus Lucanus of the Roman civil war: Caesar said :
"Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!
Caesar men cheered :
" Hail Caesar! We who are about to die salute you!
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 09:35:19 AM »

there is quite a mark-up on drugs, but not as much as you might think.  at any one time, a pharmaceutical company has 100's of research projects going on.

out of those projects, a few drugs might look like they will work.  those drugs go into years of testing before they can be approved for use.  of those that go through the testing process, only one or two will be FDA approved.

for the one or two newly approved drugs, the company will have spent billions getting onto the market.  not only does the company have to recoup expenses, but they have to make enough profit to pay share holders, employees, and make new billions to bring out the next generation of drugs.

they have to do all that before the drugs goes generic and profit is gone.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Bodo
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 12:13:45 PM »

I agree with Kathy, to a point.  I have many friends that went to work for GSK.  So, I know what you say is true.  Development of those chemicals is costly.

My only gripe is that the same drug can be bought at a much cheaper price North of the border.
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 12:33:37 PM »

North or South of the border, or overseas. We are the ones getting shafted, and that isn't even including the billions of tax dollars the drug companies get for research and development. We definitely pay a lop sided share.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 04:15:48 PM »

My only gripe is that the same drug can be bought at a much cheaper price North of the border.

other countries put caps on what they will pay drug companies through national health care plans.  they also provide a limited selection to patients. this gets to be an issue when it comes to things like cancer treatment.

we  buy most of our drugs through our insurance or health plan. that makes for bad consumers and bad prescribing.  doctors are also prescribing to avoid being sued. if a patient comes in and asks for the latest, greatest, cholesterol drug, the doc will probably write for it.  if he doesn't and the guy goes home a drops dead of a heart attack, the family will sue him.  if the guy is on the expensive drug he asked for and dies, they will sue the pharmaceutical company. 

cost of litigation is also built into our drug costs.

this is another place where cost would come down if market forces were allowed to work.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Little John_NC
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 05:02:33 PM »

kathyp
I agree alot with what you say here. But what Im reading in this report is the big markup on drugs dose not come from the pharmaceutical company. It would appear that their percentage of markup is some what in line.
  Why is it that the Drug stores like cvs or walgreens etc. have a 4000% markup on drugs  huh I want them make a profit on drugs,but how do you justify these markups  huh

Little John

"The flags of the Confederate States of America were very important and a matter of great pride to those citizens living in the Confederacy. They are also a matter of great pride for their descendants as part of their heritage and history."
Winston Churchill

"Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!
Caesar men cheered :
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 07:19:24 PM »

the short answer is that they can get that price so they charge that price.  if the sales were direct to the consumer and not through insurance companies (for the most part) the cost would no doubt be lower for most drugs. 

Alexis de Tocqueville
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 08:19:15 PM »

You know those thousand dollar shoes people buy? Same principle.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Little John_NC
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 10:05:10 PM »

I gotcha Jerry.
Kathyp
Now its making since. So the drug stores max out their profits on the insurance companies.Insurance companies jack our premiums up to cover the cost along with a higher copay each year.
Greater West insurance calls it Consumer-driven approach and focus on company costs. By raising our premiums,copays and deductables and our out of pocket cost to employees the company increase there bottom line $300,000 a year .
No wonder I cant afford it anymore.
Im pass needing KY jelly maybe I can afford some Preparation H . I feel like I been reamed.
Consumer-driven approach sounds like greed to me.........

Little John

Winston Churchill

Caesar men cheered :
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 11:58:16 PM »

if it were truely consumer driven, the cost would come down.  the consumer would shop for the best price as they do with all that they buy. 

i know how you feel.  you just want to walk around grasping your ankles.  wait until we have national health care.  your taxes will  go up, your quality of care will go down, and they will tell you how great it is that you are getting "free" health care!

Alexis de Tocqueville
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 12:02:10 AM »

It costs a heck of a lot of money to bring a new drug to market.  I don't have a problem with the companies who front that money recovering it. 
Bodo
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 12:23:30 PM »

You know what would fix this?  If every company lost the tax loophole given by providing insurance.

So instead of having ~250k purchasers on the market, we'd have millions of purchasers.  This would cause the providers to fight for customers and costs would go down.  Sounds simple doesn't it?

Let's hear it for the free market solution!
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 05:14:41 PM »

You know what would fix this?  If every company lost the tax loophole given by providing insurance.

So instead of having ~250k purchasers on the market, we'd have millions of purchasers.  This would cause the providers to fight for customers and costs would go down.  Sounds simple doesn't it?

Let's hear it for the free market solution!

I'm not following you here.
Bodo
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 06:56:24 PM »

See this post:

Now its making since. So the drug stores max out their profits on the insurance companies.Insurance companies jack our premiums up to cover the cost along with a higher copay each year.
Greater West insurance calls it Consumer-driven approach and focus on company costs. By raising our premiums,copays and deductables and our out of pocket cost to employees the company increase there bottom line $300,000 a year .

SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 08:01:54 PM »

Yeah except I'm still not seeing how eliminating insurance would cause drug companies to be willing to take a loss.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 08:46:32 PM »

if consumers were shopping for their own stuff instead of going through insurance companies, the drug stores would not get away with such a big markup.  the drug companies would make their profit, and the drug stores would have to compete for customers.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Little John_NC
House Bee

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 10:16:49 PM »

(Little John Tips his hat to Kathyp )Saying thank you for explaining that I could not figure out how to say it.. huh Now that would be a consumer-driven approach grin

Little John

Winston Churchill

Caesar men cheered :
dragonfly
House Bee

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 10:53:53 PM »

i know how you feel.  you just want to walk around grasping your ankles.  wait until we have national health care.  your taxes will  go up, your quality of care will go down, and they will tell you how great it is that you are getting "free" health care!

I work in the industry, and have done so for almost 30 years. Yes, costs will go up, quality will go down, the waits will be long, care will be rationed, and all these people who want nationalized health care will be horrified at what has happened to the quality and service. I have figured, for quite some time, that we will go to nationalized health care. Anyone who wants a good look at what will eventually happen to it should go sit in a county hospital clinic or a VA clinic for awhile.
As for the cost of drugs, there are several factors at play. Drug companies spend millions on R&D for some drugs, and the costs get passed on to the consumer down the road. There's also the push created by drug reps who call on physician offices and give them lots of free samples, which get passed out to patients. After the freebies are used up, the patient is already on said drug, and gets a prescription and sticker shock when they have to pay for it. Many of these drugs are really good quality, but there are older drugs that can do the job for less money. The patient just is not aware and does not really discuss this with their physician. Doctors often don't consider that patients may not be able to afford the prescribed drugs, they just see that it works well for the patient, and if the patient doesn't say "hey, I can't afford this", then the matter is shelved, unfortunately.

If medical insurance was the same type we could commonly buy 30 years ago, where you paid for your own drugs, your own physician office visits, and insurance was used for hospitalization and major medical expenses, the costs of medical care would be much much less than they are today. PPO's and HMO's have increased the cost of care because they have taken the responsibility away from the consumer and created a mindset that everything should be paid for, down to the 4 dollar prescription and the 50 dollar office visit. If people had to be conscious of incurring medical expenses, they would seek treatment only for legitimate medical problems, and not for every case of sniffles or diarrhea.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 12:04:31 AM »

yup and

Doctors often don't consider that patients may not be able to afford the prescribed drugs

very often docs don't know what the stuff costs. 

Alexis de Tocqueville
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 07:31:26 AM »

if consumers were shopping for their own stuff instead of going through insurance companies, the drug stores would not get away with such a big markup.  the drug companies would make their profit, and the drug stores would have to compete for customers.

Are the drug stores the ones that are responsible for the high cost of medications, or is it the drug companies who have to spend many billions of dollars just to bring a new drug to market?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next