Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 20, 2014, 08:36:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help ! I'm surrounded by Incompetence  (Read 2312 times)
BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« on: May 14, 2009, 01:39:50 PM »

I work at a Petroleum Laboratory staffed by six Chemists with various Degrees and one with a PhD. Today our new phones arrived to replace our old ones from an expired contract, my boss gave me the task of helping everyone activate and program their new toys. ( Whoopee ! )  You will not believe the frustration I have experienced working with Adults who simply cannot follow simple instructions, I'm not sure if they are potty trained anymore. The task of activation and programming was to be conducted by 2 phone calls to a verizon automated system, following prompts and commands, that's it !. So why did it take 3.5 hours for 7 guys to get it right ? Did they not understand ME HuhHuh ( Now I KNOW WHY MY BOSS GAVE ME THE TASK  angry )
  Is it common for very intelligent people to have difficulty in doing simple tasks  huh  Don't get me wrong, I have average intelligence and an IQ of 142, I do not consider myself smart, but I can manage to do many things without difficulty ( I love learning new things everyday ). This situation today takes the cake for the week. God help us  Smiley

BH
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 02:35:11 PM »

If I worked there and you came to me.... With a company phone.... I would tell you to do it or it won't get done. I really dislike cell phones (I guess that is what you are talking about) and I would really have a problem at a job that wanted me to carry one around all the time.  rolleyes

But yes. People seem to have their "expertize" things and their "idiot" things. A lot of mechanical stuff is just so easy to me and I don't get why some people can't grasp simple mechanical mechanisms.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 02:44:53 PM »

If I worked there and you came to me.... With a company phone.... I would tell you to do it or it won't get done. I really dislike cell phones (I guess that is what you are talking about) and I would really have a problem at a job that wanted me to carry one around all the time.  rolleyes

But yes. People seem to have their "expertize" things and their "idiot" things. a lot of mechanical stuff is just so easy to me and I don't get why some people can't grasp simple mechanical mechanisms.

Yes, they are cell phones. These are the same people who operate analytical instruments and they're having trouble with phones  rolleyes
dragonfly
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 02:55:30 PM »

Ah don't be too hard on them. I'm college-educated with higher than average IQ, and electronic gadgets intimidate me. I never even owned a cell phone until a few months ago, and programming it is a pita imo. Give me a saw, hammer, drill, and hardware with a nice piece of lumber any day over an electronic piece of equipment. grin
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 02:57:42 PM »

Well you see..... A phone is suppose to sit over there on the desk and when it rings you answer it. Or you pick it up and dial a number and talk on it. There shouldn't be anything more technical than plugging it into the wall  tumbleweed

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
cundald
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 03:13:33 PM »

I have discovered that every person that live on the planet earth.  Has the idea that they are smart enough to do something/everything without following instruction; this is found more in both men and woman.  Sorry females, you no longer can claim to be exempt from this condition.

How many parents sit-up all night, Christmas Eve, putting together there child’s bicycle and finally reads the instructions and puts it together in 30 min.

Another fact that I have found is, the smarter/more highly educated the person gets, the more narrow their field of knowledge gets.  I have seen highly paid executives unable to change a tire on their car or cook a meal with out burning it.

cundald

The first step in the acquisition of wisdom is silence, the second listening, the third memory, the fourth practice, the fifth teaching others.
Solomon Ibn Gabriol
BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 03:14:39 PM »

I realize now that if I just did it myself, I would have been done in 30 minutes and the Lab Rats would be a little happier  Wink    

I know a full time beekeeper in my State who hates anything high tech, he does not have a PC nor email, he does not have a cell phone either, more time moving bees, less time BSing on the phone. Smiley
BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 03:17:05 PM »

I have discovered that every person that live on the planet earth.  Has the idea that they are smart enough to do something/everything without following instruction; this is found more in both men and woman.  Sorry females, you no longer can claim to be exempt from this condition.

How many parents sit-up all night, Christmas Eve, putting together there child’s bicycle and finally reads the instructions and puts it together in 30 min.

Another fact that I have found is, the smarter/more highly educated the person gets, the more narrow their field of knowledge gets.  I have seen highly paid executives unable to change a tire on their car or cook a meal with out burning it.

cundald

grin
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 03:27:13 PM »

As I'm sure you have discovered, intelligence and education are two different things.
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 03:56:12 PM »

Since I can do most anything that comes along, I must be really dumb. It has been said, I am not smart enough to know I can't do it, so I go ahead and get it done.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
G3farms
Queen Bee

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 06:44:34 PM »

Some people are educated well beyond their intellegence level.

Iddee, I feel the same way.

G3

see my swarms and cut outs at https://www.youtube.com/user/soapy22bullet?feature=mhee

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your @ss is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 11:52:56 PM »

My wife loves the phone, she can spend all day with the thing clamped to one ear or the other.  I hate to answer the things, if somebody else is home I let them answer the dang thing, miss a few calls that way but Oh well.

Me, I'd rather drive across town to talk to some one than use the phone.  I have a degree in Electronic Technology, I can take em apart and but em back together, just don't as me to use one.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
cundald
House Bee

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 10:48:07 AM »

Since I can do most anything that comes along, I must be really dumb. It has been said, I am not smart enough to know I can't do it, so I go ahead and get it done.
Some people are educated well beyond their intelligence level.

Iddee, I feel the same way.

G3

No ruffled pollen hairs intended. 

I agree with G3.

Iddee, I know for a fact that you’re not a dummy.  There is knowledge that is not found in books but is learned through hard work and time.

There is also a type of intelligence that I lot of people have forgot they have, the ability to thing logically through a problem and to learn from their mistakes.

BILL BEATTIE:
The aim of education should be to teach us rather how to think, than what to think - rather to improve our minds, so as to enable us to think for ourselves, than to load the memory with thoughts of other men.

ETHEL BARRYMORE:
You must learn day by day, year by year, to broaden your horizon. The more things you love, the more you are interested in, the more you enjoy, the more you are indignant about, the more you have left when anything happens.

cundald

The first step in the acquisition of wisdom is silence, the second listening, the third memory, the fourth practice, the fifth teaching others.
Solomon Ibn Gabriol
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 10:54:50 AM »

As I'm sure you have discovered, intelligence and education are two different things.

That hands down is the most absolutely correct thing I have ever seen mentioned on this site, or anywhere for that matter.

Keith
G3farms
Queen Bee

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 11:08:24 AM »

the difference between intellegence and stupidity is, intellegence has its limitations!!

G3

see my swarms and cut outs at https://www.youtube.com/user/soapy22bullet?feature=mhee

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your @ss is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!
dpence
Field Bee

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 02:56:27 PM »

My favorite reply:  RTFM...

David
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2009, 05:03:14 PM »

My favorite reply:  RTFM...

David

I agree.
except.
technology:
1. nothing is uniform as programming goes (every new toy is a whole new set of commands)
2. I have learned the ins and outs of several of my new toys.
3. I don't care how the new one works, give me an upgraded version of what I have now so all I have to learn are new features; this is why you see me failing to listen - cuz inside I'm thinking. 'Oh goody, I have to be proficient in my job and now I have to learn yet another dialect of martian- sure to be obsolete in just over a year and I gotta do it all over again.'
followed quickly by ' what did s/he just say about those features?'
4.RTFM

be happy and make others happy.
BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 09:05:37 PM »

One of the Chemists came up to me today complaining it took him hours the night before entering  over 100 numbers into his new phone from his old, I told him he should have gone to the nearest Verizon store and transfer them in seconds with their gizmos  grin  I think he had a stroke  evil
dragonfly
House Bee

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 09:13:16 PM »

I hate to answer the things, if somebody else is home I let them answer the dang thing, miss a few calls that way but Oh well.

Me, I'd rather drive across town to talk to some one than use the phone. 

grin That's me exactly. My husband bought me a cell phone, and if it weren't for that, I would not have one today. I hope he gets my rollover minutes, because otherwise, he's paying that extra ten dollars per month for me to talk on the phone 3-4 times per year.

Get me in person, I'll talk your ear off. Give me a phone, and all I want is off.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next