Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 22, 2014, 02:56:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nicot Failure Twice - What am I doing wrong  (Read 806 times)
mgmoore7
House Bee

« on: May 15, 2009, 08:06:40 PM »

1st run.  Waited till exactly 3 days.  Moved nicot cups to cell frame.   Only 5 of the eggs were larve. I was already in the process of moving everything and could not go back.  I learned that I probably should waited a little longer for more of the eggs to have hatched and royal jelly to be fed.

5 of the cells did take.  Since I have limited resources on hives right now, I decided to start over since I wanted 10-12 queens and don't want to have to do 2 full runs.  I decided to just start over. 

2nd run.  Waited till exactly 3 days (this morning).  Only a few of the eggs had hatched so I decided to wait till tonight thinking I would still be in the correct age window. So tonight I went to put the nicot cups in the frame and all but abot 5 of the larve/eggs had been removed.  I think only 2 are viable larve. 

So for the moment, I had my nuc cell builder ready to go and I installed the cell frame in and will wait 24hrs and see. 

I was supposed to get a chinese grafter today after waiting 3 weeks for a order with some items that was delayed due to a childs suit being on back order only to find out that the grafter was not delivered due to being out of stock.  The grafter was my backup and I planned to try it if this did not work this time.  If they would have notified me that it was out of stock, i could have gotten it from somewhere else. I am so frustrated. 

I already installed the Nicot in the donor hive again to try again. 

What did I do wrong if anything?   I did reuse the cups the 2nd time but did give the bees time to clean them out for 2 days prior to confining the queen. 

RayMarler
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 12:43:17 AM »

Wait for the 4th day to transfer. On day three, the eggs are hatching. Day four they will be 12-24 hours old. They do better if over 12 but no older than 36 hours old larva.

Sitting in the shade, drinking lemon aid.
Enjoying the breeze while counting the bees.
mgmoore7
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 06:49:14 AM »

Wait for the 4th day to transfer. On day three, the eggs are hatching. Day four they will be 12-24 hours old. They do better if over 12 but no older than 36 hours old larva.

That is what I thought and why I waited yesterday until the evening but they removed almost all of them.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next