Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 21, 2014, 11:39:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I sure TICKED OFF the girls this morning !!!!  (Read 759 times)
sarafina
House Bee

« on: May 14, 2009, 11:02:17 PM »

Ok, so I have a new hive that I started from a package about 4 weeks ago.  I started with the smallest opening on my entrance reducer, then switched to the larger opening a couple of weeks ago.  I noticed a LOT of bees hanging out on the front porch (yes, been warmer here also) and looked like plenty of bees to defend the front so I decided to take it off altogether and give the girls some more circulation.

I decided to take it off before I headed out for work this morning so I didn't bother firing up my smoker - just donned my jacket, gloves and ankle straps around my jeans.  I reached over the top and gently slid the entrance reducer out.  As soon as I did that, they started buzzing LOUDLY I knew they weren't happy.  In fact, they were so unhappy they chased me off and went after me with a vengeance.

This was me ---->   

When I got around to the front of the house I already had several stings through my jeans - yep, right on the butt right below the jacket elastic and one on my arm through the jacket.  My husband said there were 10 or 12 bees still on me looking for a good spot and of course I had the attack pheromone going.  He got a broom and tried to brush them off and then they went after him!  He hightailed it into the house LOL  - at least I was partially suited up.  I just stood real still and they finally gave up so I could go into the house without bringing some angry girls with me.

You just never know with bees.........   grin
dragonfly
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 11:49:08 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear that your bees reacted this way, but I understand. I have a hive that is ferocious for nothing more than removing the hive top. Always-any weather- any day- any time.
I am a bit surprised, however, that a new hive from a package of bees is as irritable as it sounds like your hive is. Was it a weather problem? Anything else you can put your finger on? What strain of bees are they?
sarafina
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 12:00:52 AM »

the strain is mutts probably until the newly hatched bees become foragers - then Italians.

I was surprised at their reaction too !!!!!  obviously LOL

I have been changing out their syrup jar in the mornings on the front of their hive without ANYTHING on up until recently when they quit drinking the syrup.

As for weather - morning around 7:00 am, warm, clear, no wind.  Maybe too early (but I had to go to work) - I am cranky early in the morning, too LOL
SlickMick
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 04:39:16 AM »

.... I have been changing out their syrup jar in the mornings on the front of their hive without ANYTHING on up until recently when they quit drinking the syrup.

And then you come along all dressed up.. no wonder they were put out  evil

Mick

On the outer Barcoo where the churches are few,
   And men of religion are scanty,
On a road never cross'd 'cept by folk that are lost,
   One Michael Magee had a shanty.

Now this Mike was the dad of a ten-year-old lad,
   Plump, healthy, and stoutly conditioned;
He was strong as the best, but poor Mike had no rest
   For the youngster had never been christened,
A BUSH CHRISTENING - A.B. "Banjo" Paterson http://www.middlemiss.org/lit/authors/patersonab/poetry/christen.html
sarafina
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 11:34:38 AM »

.... I have been changing out their syrup jar in the mornings on the front of their hive without ANYTHING on up until recently when they quit drinking the syrup.

And then you come along all dressed up.. no wonder they were put out  evil

Mick

CBEE
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 11:41:29 AM »

Sometimes it does'nt take much to set them off.. I tried to peek in on the swarm I caught last week and as soon as I popped the top I got nailed on the hand  :shock:and had several head butting me and generally ticked off... they were hot as a firecracker. But I'll tell ya they are building and dragging it in twice as fast as the 2 new packages I installed a month ago. I think they are hacked off at me for sticking them in some makeshift hive pieces until I can get or build some proper parts  grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next