Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 30, 2014, 05:23:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I almost killed a State Trooper this Morning!  (Read 1805 times)
Keith13
Super Bee

« on: May 14, 2009, 09:32:25 AM »

This morning I was driving into work down the interstate. As I was approaching an underpass a state trooper stepped into my lane of travel to flag down another car to the left of me for speeding. The bad thing about it was the sun was behind the trooper and throwing a glare. I didn't see the trooper until the last minute. I slammed on my brakes and swerved to the left to miss him. As I continued on of course his buddy pulls me over and begins to explain to me how I almost killed the trooper. My problem with this is they had their cars hidden in the shadows that the overpass created; I never saw the police cars until I was on top of them. He was standing with the sun to his back using the glare to prevent motorist from detecting them. Then finally while still obscured from view he walks out into my lane in front of my vehicle which is traveling at 70 mph. Now I am all for writing tickets but to me he is putting his life in danger for a ticket.
This trooper lectured me for a good 10 minutes before sending me on my way. I don’t believe I was wrong here what do you guys think?

Keith
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 09:53:48 AM »

Perhaps it would have been better to stop and apologize and tell him what a great job he was doing. Then lecture him about the glare of the sun.

At my grandson's school there is a traffic cop every morning. For a while at a certain time of the year the east bound traffic can't see him because of the sun. It seems he doesn't understand that concept.  rolleyes

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
vermmy35
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 10:46:03 AM »

As a former cop I would have to agree with the troopers.  First of all when out in the field you sometimes don't realize that your not able to be seen due to the sun, so that was unintentional.  Second, as a drive you'll almost always be sited for anything dealing with the front end of your car (ie. when you rear end someone).  Third pedestrians almost always have the right of way regardless if they are in a crosswalk or not.  Lastly, if you almost hit a cop believe me, we/they take it personal and I am surprised that they didn't find someway to wright you a ticket.

Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 10:49:28 AM »

Yes I think I was lucky to not receive a ticket. And I agree pedestrians have the right of way on surface streets not the interstate where pedestrians are not allowed. I just do not believe a ticket is worth this much trouble. Would a 100 buck fine have been worth this guys life?

Keith
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 11:29:15 AM »

I would have stopped and probably had a good talking with the cop that was in the road and really expressed the way I felt at that time, he has no business being in the highway trying to flag someone down for speeding, the old saying is "IF YOUR GOING TO BE STUPID YOU BETTER BE TOUGH", you should call and fill a complaint, might save that idiots life one day, you was not in the wrong, they were!! I wouldn't have listened to a lecture either but probably gave one, they do their jobs but they are not above the law like most think they are these days, they have procedures on how to give a ticket and running into traffic I am sure is not one of them.  and if they would have ticketed you , you could probably win that in court very easy once the story was told.

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 01:17:36 PM »

I very often side with the law and the people who work to enforce it (really imagine the reality if there weren't any at all)
but there's the other 'common sense' kind of thing - i.e. why is it ok for ANYONE to step out into oncoming traffic for any reason and not consider the possibility that they may get hit or cause an accident? (I think the lecture was officious 'covering')
cop or not - he should have thought of what it would mean for him to walk out into traffic.

be happy and make others happy.
woodchopper
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 01:44:02 PM »

I just do not believe a ticket is worth this much trouble. Would a 100 buck fine have been worth this guys life?
The next time this trooper might not be so lucky. Lucky for him you were paying attention so this didn't end tragically. Doesn't take too many brain cells to know standing in the line of traffic is like playing Russian Roulette. Hopefully both of these troopers got the hint. 

Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau
dragonfly
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 02:59:23 PM »

I can understand pedestrian right-of-way on a normal city street, but not on a 70 mph interstate. That's just stupid to be walking into any lane of traffic with traffic buzzing at that speed. rolleyes
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 03:28:25 PM »

This morning I was driving into work down the interstate. As I was approaching an underpass a state trooper stepped into my lane of travel to flag down another car to the left of me for speeding. The bad thing about it was the sun was behind the trooper and throwing a glare. I didn't see the trooper until the last minute. I slammed on my brakes and swerved to the left to miss him. As I continued on of course his buddy pulls me over and begins to explain to me how I almost killed the trooper. My problem with this is they had their cars hidden in the shadows that the overpass created; I never saw the police cars until I was on top of them. He was standing with the sun to his back using the glare to prevent motorist from detecting them. Then finally while still obscured from view he walks out into my lane in front of my vehicle which is traveling at 70 mph. Now I am all for writing tickets but to me he is putting his life in danger for a ticket.
This trooper lectured me for a good 10 minutes before sending me on my way. I don’t believe I was wrong here what do you guys think?

Keith

I think you shouldn't have swerved. 
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 03:58:07 PM »

I almost killed a sheriff one day at a traffic detail.  He had on a green uniform, no vest, and he was standing in front of a green town truck.  He was absolutely invisible.  Suddenly he stepped out in front of me (I wasn't going fast, at all, because I saw the work detail and slowed down to pass them).  He was going to stop the cars behind me but mis-timed his stepping into the road.  He screamed at me and I stopped, and pointed out the similarity of his uniform and the truck - it was just before sundown.  He really blew it.  He yelled at me a bit, then I could see the look spread across his face - the work detail guys knew he'd done something pretty stupid, too, with no safety vest on.  I didn't get a ticket.  I'll bet he remembered his vest the next time.

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 03:59:49 PM »

Texas law for the highway;

552.005. CROSSING AT POINT OTHER THAN CROSSWALK. (a) A
pedestrian shall yield the right-of-way to a vehicle on the highway
if crossing a roadway at a place:
(1) other than in a marked crosswalk or in an unmarked
crosswalk at an intersection; or
(2) where a pedestrian tunnel or overhead pedestrian
crossing has been provided.
(b) Between adjacent intersections at which traffic control
signals are in operation, a pedestrian may cross only in a marked
crosswalk.
(c) A pedestrian may cross a roadway intersection
diagonally only if and in the manner authorized by a traffic control
device.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
G3farms
Queen Bee

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »

copsare just people also, and some of them are real dumb in the common sense dept.

Did the troopers have their blue lights on, I will say no, they were hidding in the shadows like you said and ttrying to hand out tickets.

I almost clipped an idiot deputy one evening. there is a park not far from the house and they were having some kind of big event there, sun was going down which was behind the deputies. They had parked a car on each side of the road on the shoulder, both were facing me with all of the lights going, the high beams and the bright flashing strobes, very blinding. traffic was slow and people had parked on the other side of the road in an overflow parking lot, dupety was standing inbetween the head lights that are blinding me and steps out to stop me to let people cross, darn near clipped him, he gave me a dirty look and I gave him a little lecture on what an idiot he was. He never said a word, I figured he knew he screwed up.

G3

see my swarms and cut outs at https://www.youtube.com/user/soapy22bullet?feature=mhee

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your @ss is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 11:47:39 PM »

I've seen a lot of inattentive drivers in my time.  Practically been run over by them.  Standing in the middle of the road, paddle sign in hand, astraddle a DAS (dead at scene) driver, other police cars, tow trucks, fire trucks, and traffic cones, and they still get so busy gauwking they don't pay attention.

I can understand the Trooper's feelings, I'd probably have issued a citation under the circumstances too.  However, if the person ticketed would have gone to court and gave their side of the story I would probably have requested a dismissal of charges. 

Being a cop is a dangerous business, it got me retired the hard way when I was 28.  I've earned 2 more disability retirements since all on the job.  Now I'm so stove up I couldn't hold a job if I wanted too.   Seems like I attracted injuries like a magnet attracts nails.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 05:19:18 AM »

Sorry officer, I did not see you, as the glare of the sun apparently hid you from my view.

I sure wouldn't want anything to happen to you as I appreciate the job that you and all law enforcement do to keep us safe.

If I alarmed you I apologize from the bottom of my heart. If I were in your shoes I would be a nervous wreck over what just ocurred.

Thank you for the job that you do.

He most likely understands the mistake he made but he is the law, you don't want to mess with the law, you could get burned by someone in uniform having a bad day that decides to take things out on you, and its his word against yours.

Yes sir, no sir, is how I address officers and I always appreciate the job they do, serving and protecting, putting their lives on the line every day they put the uniform on.

I'm sorry this happened to you Keith, I see you were obviously shaken by the event as was the police officer.

Not all cops are nice guys, neither are all doctors or mail men, whatever, but IMO they deserve our respect until they have crossed the line and put themselves above the law.

Sarge, I know you were being sarcastic when you said Keith shouldn't have swerved, at least I hope you were.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 01:20:55 PM »

Always love how you express yourself JP. You really seem to get to the bottom of the issue and in such a pleasant way as well.
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 01:26:46 PM »

Not all cops are nice guys, neither are all doctors or mail men, whatever, but IMO they deserve our respect until they have crossed the line and put themselves above the law.

The problem is that he did cross the white line, and tried to put himself above the laws of physics and nature.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 12:36:01 AM »

The problem is that he did cross the white line, and tried to put himself above the laws of physics and nature.

Hey, Hey now, he's a cop, not a politician.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 07:07:19 AM »

Hey, Hey now, he's a cop, not a politician.

Nor is he a magician.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next