Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 28, 2014, 03:52:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8 frames in a 10 frame honey super  (Read 800 times)
challenger
House Bee

« on: May 12, 2009, 09:58:21 PM »

I've gotten some heat locally about using 8 frames in my 10 frame honey supers. I'd like to know if others are doing this if anyone has some personal experience using 8 frames in a 10 frame honey super?
Thanks-Howard

Beekeeping for Chordoma. All proceeds donated to cancer research
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 10:02:39 PM »

I only use 9 drawn out frames in a 10 frame super, have heard of others using 8 drawn out frames in a 10 but seems a little to much for me, I use 9..
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 10:33:13 PM by TwT » Logged

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 10:29:59 PM »

I've gotten some heat locally about using 8 frames in my 10 frame honey supers. I'd like to know if others are doing this if anyone has some personal experience using 8 frames in a 10 frame honey super?
Thanks-Howard

The less frames used for a patricular sized hive body the greater the problems that will be encountered.  Using 9 frames in honey supers is okay if the honey is being extracted, otherwise it's a good way to clog up a hive when used in the brood chamber.  The brood cells will still be standard depth brood cells and the honey/pollen cells will bulge out and be in the way when trying to remove a frame for inspection.  Good way to rip all the caps off the cells and kill some bees.
8 frames is even worse, the bees will begin building bridge comb between the frames and you'll have a mess to undo.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
challenger
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 09:06:58 AM »

Just to try and justify my 8 frame HONEY super use. I got this idea from a book called  Natural beekeeping by Ross Conrad. He mentions in his honey supers only that he uses 8 frames. He says that for honey storage the bees will build the comb deep and using 8 frames allows for more honey than 9 or 10. I'll give it some time and keep an eye on it.
Howard

Beekeeping for Chordoma. All proceeds donated to cancer research
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 09:22:30 AM »

I've done 5 in a 10 frame box when I alternated foundationless with comb.   They overdrew the comb right into the open space of the foundationless frames.   What  a mess, couldn't get any frames out without ripping the combs and honey spewing all over. rolleyes

You will probably be OK if you use drawn comb,  but it will make for more of a mess extracting as your cappings will have much more honey in them to drain.    Personally I don't see the benefit even if the bees can store a little more honey in theory.  Nine frames allows for thick enough comb for easy uncapping.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 09:32:57 PM »

Once they are drawn eight works fine in a ten frame super.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm#framespacing

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next