Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 19, 2014, 01:04:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swarm won't stay  (Read 598 times)
patook
House Bee

« on: May 12, 2009, 05:32:28 PM »

Hello, went out to catch another swarm today.  It was small, somewhere between a football and a softball. I was able to cut the branch and dumped every bee into a hive with 4 frames removed. I did spray the hive and frames with HBH beforehand. I put the frames in and closed it up.

I then watched as every bee left the hive via the front door and flu back up into the tree. What did I do wrong? I know I did not miss the queen unless she just was not there.

I closed the entrance with a sheet and dumped the cluster back into the hive, closed it up and brought it home. When I got home and tried to replace the sheet with an entrance reducer, they all wanted out, fast.

I closed the reduced entrance up with a screen. I then put a frame with some brood into the hive (quickly). Is there anything else I can do?

rast
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 05:49:04 PM »

I don't think you did anything "wrong". The bees just didn't do what you wanted them to. You need to get a queen excluder to put between the box and bottom board. Then, unless she slimmed down enough to fit through it, she's trapped and they will come back to her. Sometimes you can put them back in there a couple of times and they will finally stay. 

Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 09:03:57 PM »

Probably the HBH was overdone.  Go light on it as the Pheromone in the Lemon Grass Oil is potent to a bee.  To intense of an odor will force the bees out as if it were Beegone.  The fact that you sprayed the inside of the hive with HBH tells me that you don't really understand its proper use.  It has Lemon Grass Oil as an additive and is designed to be given to the bees via sugar syrup not used in lieu of a swarm lure.

Then, too, sometimes swarms already have their new home already chosen and nothing short of a queen includer is going to keep them from it.  Sometimes they may wait several days, even draw some comb, but if they've already picked a new home say Bye Bye Bee!
If you can keep them in the box for a day, install a frame of brood to anchor the swarm.  Not honey, that they will gorge themselves on and still take off anyway.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
patook
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 01:41:02 AM »

Probably the HBH was overdone.  Go light on it as the Pheromone in the Lemon Grass Oil is potent to a bee.  To intense of an odor will force the bees out as if it were Beegone.  The fact that you sprayed the inside of the hive with HBH tells me that you don't really understand its proper use.  It has Lemon Grass Oil as an additive and is designed to be given to the bees via sugar syrup not used in lieu of a swarm lure.

You are probably right about the HBH. I just thought it would be better then the lemon pledge some people suggested I use. The second time I put them in, I layed the HBH on extra thick. Hope it disperses quickly.

Then, too, sometimes swarms already have their new home already chosen and nothing short of a queen includer is going to keep them from it.  Sometimes they may wait several days, even draw some comb, but if they've already picked a new home say Bye Bye Bee!
If you can keep them in the box for a day, install a frame of brood to anchor the swarm.  Not honey, that they will gorge themselves on and still take off anyway.

I did put in some brood, so I hope that will anchor them. I am also miles from where I picked up the swarm, so I know thay don't have a home nearby picked out.

Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 03:41:05 PM »

I did put in some brood, so I hope that will anchor them. I am also miles from where I picked up the swarm, so I know thay don't have a home nearby picked out.

Bees have their own built in GPS system, just because the swarm was moved a few miles does not mean they can't find there chosen location again.  A delay of a few days and then they're gone again is probably such a case.  Plus if they're dissatisfied with the hive in which they were placed they may opt for a new site and abscond after a few days or a week or more.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next