Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 31, 2014, 10:46:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Man, our weather sucks!  (Read 791 times)
Buzzen
House Bee

« on: May 12, 2009, 01:39:20 PM »

We get one nice day,then 6 crappy days.  Sure been a cold wet spring.  Last week we got 5 days of 30mph wind/rain.  forecast for the week?  30 mph wind or better. jeez, i'm glad I'm not a bee, I would be really p o'd right now.     (ok, so i am still p o'd, but at least  I won't be blown into the next state if I leave the hive......lol)     COME ON SUMMER!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 02:35:02 PM by Buzzen » Logged
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 01:46:30 PM »

We get one nice day,then 6 crappy days.  Sure been a cold wet spring.  Last week we got 5 days of 30mph wind/rain.  forecast for the week?  30 mph wind or better. jeez, i'm glad I'm not a bee, I would be really pee'd right now.     (ok, so i am still pee'd, but at least  I won't be blown into the next state if I leave the hive......lol)     COME ON SUMMER!

Look at it this way, if feeding new hives the weather is breaking up the feeding schedule so that the bees can't backfill the combs to prevent the queen from laying, thus giving the hive a better start.  True better weather would result in faster buildup if the queen can keep ahead of the foragers. 
Personally I'm a silver lining kind of guy. 

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Buzzen
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 02:27:09 PM »

Thats a good attitude Brian!!
Rebel Rose Apiary
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 04:49:40 PM »

When I first started reading your post, I thought that you had to be from Illinois! We have been having the same crappy weather here. Today the sun is out bright and shiny! Warm? Not really! It is windy too! But the bees are out working hard to bring in pollen and nectar.

Tonight and thru the week it is going to be nothing but severe thunderstorms again....the rivers have been out of their banks and all low ground is flooded.
<Sigh> I want some nice warm weather too!

Brenda
1reb
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 08:17:16 AM »

This is the first day of nice weather we had in a week and tomorrow it going to rain for the next 5 day

Johnny
Rebel Rose Apiary
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 03:42:50 PM »

Last night there was another thunderstorm which the worst of it missed me. Large hail, winds over 60 mph and hard rain. It split and went to eaither side of me....does that mean I am living right?  grin It was lightning all night long and it got pretty close. I went out to the bee yard here at the house and put more weights on top of the covers.

Now it is thunderstorms all this week....the worst ones being tonight and tomorrow from what they say.

The honey locust is blooming and my bees have a good half mile to get to the closest locust. I was wondering just how many of the foragers make it back to the hive after they get caught in a thunderstorm, crossing the open fields when they are loaded down with pollen, etc?

The black locust bloom is still not in full bloonm here....I just checked it last night before the rains and storms.

Brenda
Rich V
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 04:07:07 PM »

Last night there was another thunderstorm which the worst of it missed me. Large hail, winds over 60 mph and hard rain. It split and went to eaither side of me....does that mean I am living right?  grin It was lightning all night long and it got pretty close. I went out to the bee yard here at the house and put more weights on top of the covers.

Now it is thunderstorms all this week....the worst ones being tonight and tomorrow from what they say.

The honey locust is blooming and my bees have a good half mile to get to the closest locust. I was wondering just how many of the foragers make it back to the hive after they get caught in a thunderstorm, crossing the open fields when they are loaded down with pollen, etc?

The black locust bloom is still not in full bloonm here....I just checked it last night before the rains and storms.

Brenda

Yup. Sad to say. Same state, same weather, same story.
vermmy35
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 07:13:18 PM »

yeah it hasn't been all that great around here either.  In Chicago we have only had 1 80 degree day all spring and that was back around the 26th of April; right now its rainy and cold.  It was a good thing I checked my hive yesterday hehe evil

Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next