Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 22, 2014, 11:48:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ...missed one.  (Read 727 times)
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« on: May 17, 2009, 01:12:59 PM »

We had animal control out yesterday over some suspected cow killing dogs (I made the call, they almost matched the description but they weren't the dogs) anyhow, the animal control saw the beehives and my wife mentioned I may get into swarm capturing, I'm inexperienced I know but I never learn until I get my hands dirty.  The dog cop said he had a call from someone about a swarm, told him they don't do bees but kept the number anyway. gave me the number.
     I called the guy and he knew where the bees came from and the keeper (next door to him) refused to come get them. (the last swarm built in his air conditioner and the keeper got stuck with the repair bill.)
 long story short - the swarm moved on before I got the number.
 I just posted because I find it strange that a beekeeper would refuse to get a swarm he knows -or could believe- is his.
and I'm thinking of getting friendlies with the sherrif's office and fire dept. about swarms.

be happy and make others happy.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 01:25:21 PM »

commercial beekeepers don't chase swarms.  i have a friend who has a  berry farm.  the bees she has in for pollination swarm all the time.  she calls me.  he's not interested.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 01:31:13 PM »

thanks for the explanation; I'll be posting a pic of my swarm-ready topbar hive in another topic shortly.

be happy and make others happy.
G3farms
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 03:02:16 PM »

sounds like you just got into the swarm catching business.

good luck with it.

G3

see my swarms and cut outs at https://www.youtube.com/user/soapy22bullet?feature=mhee

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your @ss is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next