Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 16, 2014, 03:30:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did I jump the gun?  (Read 364 times)
rickomatic
New Bee

« on: May 09, 2009, 07:13:56 PM »

My girls have been in their new homes (2 hives) just short of 1 month today. I've been feeding them medicated syrup (fumagilin b & Honey B Healthy) since I hived them but they seem to have been taking it rather sparingly compared to what I see they should take as a new package. They've only been going through about 1 quart a week for each hive. Now, I did notice a good increase in their syrup take the last few days. Maybe that's from increasing numbers from new hatched bees? They have been building up comb on their brand spankin new Pierco plastic frames and the queens have been laying profusely. Plenty of capped brood, eggs, larva pollen, and honey stores. I'm pretty certain that some brood have already emerged too. They still have probably 3-4 outside frames to finish building up, but I added another large super with frames on to each hive today. I guess I'm paranoid about not giving them enough room as their numbers grow. Their feeder is two quart jars each above the inner covers, and they have already figured out how to get up the "extra story" to it.
Was it ok to give them that extra room already? I know conventional wisdom says let them completely build out 70%-80% of the frames before adding boxes. I'd say they were a little closer to 60%, but their numbers are growing rapidly, hence my impatience.  grin
What say you?
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 07:47:10 PM »

at this time of the year, you can get away with giving them more room, but you will probably end up with undrawn frames in your lower super. you can rotate them in later or if you reduce the size of the hive for winter, you can use the drawn frames and take out any undrawn foundation.  it's less about how much they draw, and more about how much they fill.     

i'd dump the medication.  prophylactic medicating is not something that most of us do anymore.  i know that's probably what your book or supplier instructed, but it's an unnecessary expense, if nothing else.

if you have a good flow going on, the bees will choose to get what they need outside the hive.  they will skip the syrup.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next