Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 21, 2014, 06:38:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Foundationless Question  (Read 616 times)
sparks
New Bee

« on: May 09, 2009, 12:36:08 PM »

I am determined to at least try a foundationless experience and the question I have is this:

What is the rational for using a complete frame with a starter strip when it seems to me that just the top bar (a la top bar hive) with a starter strip would do?   Is there any benefit to having the side and bottom bars in place?

Thanks for any advice,

Chuck
fermentedhiker
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 02:46:27 PM »

there are a couple of problems with using just the top bar portion of a frame.  First they will attach the comb they are drawing in the second hive body to the top of the topbar in the bottom hive body.  I guess you could slide a wire between the two hive bodies to cut them apart every time you wanted to do an inspection, but that doesn't appeal to me.  Second the spacing between the frames comes from the end bars sticking out beyond the sides of the top bars, so you'd have to makes some spacers of your own to keep the frames the correct distance apart.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 02:53:36 PM »

+ if you are more than one super deep, the comb would be very hard to remove.  they would attach it to the sides of the 2nd box and you'd have to break it to get it out.  checking 2 boxes would require moving all the comb out first and putting it where?

i have been doing the starter strips for 2 going on 3 years now.  it works well, but i suggest one full sheet of foundation in the middle.  some hives will draw wonderful comb with only starter strips as guides.  some make a mess of it and it's really hard, if not impossible, to straighten out.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
sparks
New Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 05:08:48 PM »

Thanks for the great replies.  I sometimes need a little help getting my thinking right. embarassed  I just figured that top bar hives can do it but then again they are not stacked on top of each other.  I also have them connecting stacked frames with burr comb which I am now just leaving in place.  Even if I scrape it off it just gets rebuilt.  Stubborn females! Wink  At least I am only breaking apart the burr comb and not a comb full of brood or stores, etc..
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 07:49:05 PM »

In a standard box it gives better support for the frame and it keeps them from attaching the comb between the boxes so much.

But some people do use just top bars.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next